[SOLVED] i5 7300hq full capacity in-game. How to reach it?

dajkalaszlo20

Commendable
Mar 2, 2018
Hi everyone.
I try to make the introduction to the stiuation as short as possible.
About a year ago I purchased an acer aspire v nitro laptop geared with an i5 7300hq and a gtx1060.
First i couldn't use the full capacity (turbo boost) on the cpu, since in just a single minute its temps jumped up to 90 degrees and beyond. However now I could find remedy to it. I got an nt-h1 thermal paste and changed the thermal paste. In a miraculous way, now with a cool room temp between 20 - 25 degrees, fans at max speed, cpu on turbo mode, its temps can stay between only 70 - 77 (in an airconed environment).

However I noticed, for instance during heavy gaming, the cpu clock doesnt go beyond 3092 Mghz. However it is capable of a 3492 Mghz. Is it possible to have it utilize at that rate during games?

Thanks for the answeres in advance. Happy new year!

Solution
That's a core cap. The rated turbo speed only applies when using single thread stuff. One you go beyond single thread usage, the max speed is suppressed and lowered. This is a bios setting that's usually locked to prevent 4c/4t usage at full turbo, which would overheat the cpu quickly at that voltage.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's a core cap. The rated turbo speed only applies when using single thread stuff. One you go beyond single thread usage, the max speed is suppressed and lowered. This is a bios setting that's usually locked to prevent 4c/4t usage at full turbo, which would overheat the cpu quickly at that voltage.

Solution