i5-7500 stock cooler noise

Myrmyr

Prominent
Feb 19, 2017
Hi,

My new build with the i5-7500 stock cooler makes a constant buzzing/humming sound.

Here is a video (be sure to turn up the audio). Sorry for the bad quality; I had to record with my tablet.

I have 35°C idle temps, the fan is clipping no wires and when I reach in and manually stop the fan, the buzzing stops. So it is definitely the fan. When I boot the PC in a horizontal position the noise does not change. It gets a little bit louder and more noticable the more the fan spins.

Is this a defect stock cooler or are they supposed to be this loud?

For completeness
My total specs are:
Gigabyte GA-B250M-D2V
Intel i5-7500 with stock cooler
8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400 DIMM CL16
Sapphire Radeon RX480 Nitro
bequiet! Pure Power 10 400W

Edit: Here is a better video https://vid.me/qG7Q

Hard to tell from the video, the audio isn't very good, but the stock coolers I've used over the years don't have any noticeable hum, just the whoosh of air.

You may be able to adjust your fan speed profiles a bit and reduce the noise under idle and light loads, with no ill effect. 35c is rather chilly for an Intel CPU, and you could easily decrease fan speed and let it rise 10 or 20 or even 30c at idle with no ill effect.

Myrmyr

Prominent
Feb 19, 2017
Adjusting the fan speed in the BIOS reduces the noise a bit. However it makes it stand out more, as the wooshing noise from the blown air is also reduced. So the noise is actually less noticable when the fan blows at full speed and more noticable when operating at 10-20%.

I will try to upload another video with a better camera and (hopefully) better audio.

If this cooler turns out to be defect, should I contact Intel or is there no guarantee for a replacement?