Question I5 8300H Core 1 overheating within seconds on prime 95

vishalaestro

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
I am using Dell G5 laptop with following configuration.

2x8GB 2666 MHz RAM
256 GB M2 SSD
1 TB HDD
GTX 1060-Max Q 6GB
Intel Core I5 8300H

To reduce temperatures i have undervolted my CPU with following settings using Throttlestop

CPU Core @ - 149.4mv
CPU Cache @ -125.0 mv
Intel iGPU @ -100.6mv

Turbo Ratio Limits and Speed step are set to default values.

Throttle stop configuration Image

The problem is after undervolt, the temperature did reduce to about 5-10 C but the CORE1 alone constantly hit the max allowed temperature very soon and the whole CPU package starts to thermal throttle. This frequently happens in AAA games when the CPU reaches more than 80% .

I ran Prime95 Small FFT to stress the CPU and used Hardware monitor to get the temperature readings. Within 1 minute i was able to reproduce the results

Hardware monitor results after running prime 95 small FFT for 1 minute

Here are the temperatures

Core 0 - Current 81c , Min 44c ,Max 89c, Clock 3593mhz
Core 1 - Current 99C,Min 44c,Max 97c,,clock 3493.2 mhz
Core 2 - Current 78C,Min 43c,Max 87c,clock 3493.2 mhz
Core 3 - Current 78c,Min 43c,Max 87c,clock 3493.2 mhz
Ring/LLC Clock - 3293.6mhz

Is this a hardware defect?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Pretty normal - the temperature difference, I mean. The difference between the coolest and the hottest core is at or within 10C - considered normal operation by Intel, anyways.
Are you using a cooling pad? Those devices are pretty much mandatory for gaming laptops compared to the likes of notebooks/ultrabooks.

I can't imagine the built in cooler being very efficient if you're seeing temps like that.

vishalaestro

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Pretty normal - the temperature difference, I mean. The difference between the coolest and the hottest core is at or within 10C - considered normal operation by Intel, anyways.
Are you using a cooling pad? Those devices are pretty much mandatory for gaming laptops compared to the likes of notebooks/ultrabooks.

I can't imagine the built in cooler being very efficient if you're seeing temps like that.
i have even tested this with cooling pad and no change .

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The laptop's fans are running full blast?
Do you dust it on a regular basis?

It throttles while playing games, still throttles even with a cooling pad - plus, if the above are also true, then Dell has supplied that model with an insufficient cooling solution.

Dec 3, 2019
Why is your current temp higher than the max? Is that a typo? Variance between the cores should be no more than +/- 5 degrees per core, so a 10 degree difference would be somewhat ok. But if it was me, I would repaste the cpu sink. If the variance continued then I would say that the sink itself is warped or perhaps not attached evenly. I have an HP gaming pavilion laptop that would get to 100c with a variance of 10c-15c between the cores, and it was due to an uneven or warped heatsink. I fixed it by sanding the sink flat with a super light grit paper (2000-3000) and then using copper shims for the cpu and gpu along with repasting with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. Only after hours of playing on an oculus rift does it get up to 90c now, with a variance of no more than 3c between all 6 cores while undervolted and using a pad. I had to fix it myself because HP wouldnt even sell me a new heatsink even though it was still under warranty and only a couple months old. They wanted me to mail it to them, but they would have held on to it for months, and might not have solved the problem at all because in the end, a lot of work and a little money had to go into fixing it right.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, but the laptop is only 3 months old and i did not open the laptop for any reasons, is is a case of bad cpu silicon lottery?
It's not. Lousy built-in cooler really.
You use it for gaming, right?
I'll try to keep this short...

Manufacturer's have hit the thermal wall with these gimmicky 'gaming laptops'.
There's only so much they can do with the cooling solutions on these devices with their space constraints without having them weighing like a purse full of bricks - because no one wants to lug around a compact device like that, right?
Unfortunately, demand for the pipe dream that is 'affordable gaming laptops' is high, and the integrated cooler is one of the main areas manufacturers cut corners on to keep costs lower.

A decent GL is going to be expensive AND heavy(because of the beefier cooler inside). Your G5 15 5587 is on the light side at 2.85kg.
Then you have monsters like Msi's GT75 Titan at just over 4.5kg...
GLs can only continue to get bigger and heavier in order to accommodate higher core/thread count cpus and stronger graphics solutions, and I can only imagine how many people won't mind carrying around 7 and 9kg laptops...