i5 8400 or i5 7600k ?

landeviraj

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017
I am building a new PC. Which one is better and by how much ? And does the difference matter between the 2 CPUs in the long run ?

Solution

I wouldn't call one better than the other, in reality they are very different CPUs.

In terms of gaming performance I would bet the 7600k for the forseeable future would be the better choice. The 8400 has 2 extra cores which in theory will be better for gaming some day. We have been hearing that for years. The fact is though they are lower clocked, so I still think for the lifespan of a system you would build today, the 7600k is the better idea for gaming.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I wouldn't call one better than the other, in reality they are very different CPUs.

In terms of gaming performance I would bet the 7600k for the forseeable future would be the better choice. The 8400 has 2 extra cores which in theory will be better for gaming some day. We have been hearing that for years. The fact is though they are lower clocked, so I still think for the lifespan of a system you would build today, the 7600k is the better idea for gaming.

Solution

Since the trend of moving to 6 cores for gaming has started this year and quite a few upcoming games seem to like a few extra cores the 8400 seems the way to go if you can find it of course.

Watched a review on Digital Foundry I believe. The 8400 paired with decent speed memory is performing closer to 7700k. Better than I would have thought. https://www.digitalfoundry.net/2017-10-15-intel-coffee-lake-core-i5-8400-i5-8600k-review. Seems that games are starting to use more than 4 cores. That said, I have an i5 7600k OC'd to 4.6Ghz in my HTPC/occasional gaming setup. Works great for me.