i5 8600k - Very high temperatures.

Hey everyone. I recently upgraded to an 8600k and I refuse to believe these temps are normal. Yesterday I was idling at 40C, didn't write down voltages or anything, but when I tried to play a game (Borderlands 2) my temps went to 100C on all six cores!

I am using a 2 year old Corsair H60 and Arctic MX-4. I spread it evenly all around the processor.

I just cleaned the CPU and the water block with 91% isopropyl alcohol (I can even send pics, they were perfectly clean) and reapplied the thermal paste with the same method and I'll let hwmonitor do the talking here... (https://i.imgur.com/qQv2b9J.png) [by the way, it's cropped out, but from left to right, the values are current, min, max]

What should I do?

Solution

Stock clocks and voltage, vcore never rose above 1.184.

I was planning on going in and getting a nicer case and an R1 Ultimate and overclocking *then*, actually. I was expecting the H60 to hold out on stock clocks, since I really wanted to move off my old config but didn't have the money to get everything at once.

I actually think I narrowed it down though - I'm re-using a HAF 912 because I'm using an ATX...

Jwpanz

Honorable
First, are you overclocking it and, if so, how much?

Second, the Coffee Lake chips are known for running hot espescially with an overclock. The H60 you’re using may be the root cause of the heat issue here as it is only a single 120mm radiator and fan trying to cool it. You need to invest in a beefier cooling solution.

Stock clocks and voltage, vcore never rose above 1.184.

I was planning on going in and getting a nicer case and an R1 Ultimate and overclocking *then*, actually. I was expecting the H60 to hold out on stock clocks, since I really wanted to move off my old config but didn't have the money to get everything at once.

I actually think I narrowed it down though - I'm re-using a HAF 912 because I'm using an ATX board, but I used to own a nicer MATX case, and the only place to mount a radiator is on the back. The hose on the H60 is quite long, and it was a sharp curve which I think disrupted the flow of coolant, since the pumps in these things aren't known for being strong. I moved it off it's mount in the back and I'm just letting it sit out in the front. I'm idling at 30 C now, gonna try playing borderlands 2 again and tell you how it does.

Edit : 100% load, 75 degrees celsius. Logically the cause was how much the hoses were bent. Thanks for the help though!

Solution