[SOLVED] I7 10700k cooling

matthewmurphy57

Honorable
Oct 8, 2018
Hi, just need some advice on a cooler for my 10700k with turbo as, as I have coasted on with a cryorig h7 without turbo on,but wish to not lose on the perf any longer. Need some good ones suggeste di fpossible which will keep the cpu below 80 degrees on turbo as it hits 90 - 95 on bfv but most other games sits 64 - 84 whic isnt dangerous but i would prefer it to not. Budget is around 100 quid and open to watercooling though nervous and also aircooling as the easiest choice. My case is a cheap masterbox e500L so there is a limit of 157mm in clearance so I think that singles out the NH D15 unfortunately. I have considered the corsair 110i/100 series but unsure as to how worth it it will be. As I am upgrading my pc genereal with a budget atm 2070 super - 3070 16gb to 32, etc a case change isnt an option for me however I dont have time atm.

Thanks alot!

Solution
To be blunt, part of your temps being like that is due to the airflow in the case. How many fans do you have in your case, if you exclude the CPU cooler and the rear exhaust fans(bundled in the case)? If there are none, then instead of buying a new CPU cooler, look into buying a couple of fans, 3 to mount at the front inside the case(not outside, otherwise they won't breath), and perhaps another fan to replace the rear, all of which should be PWM.

Speaking of PWM, what is the make and model of your motherboard?

Lutfij

Titan
To be blunt, part of your temps being like that is due to the airflow in the case. How many fans do you have in your case, if you exclude the CPU cooler and the rear exhaust fans(bundled in the case)? If there are none, then instead of buying a new CPU cooler, look into buying a couple of fans, 3 to mount at the front inside the case(not outside, otherwise they won't breath), and perhaps another fan to replace the rear, all of which should be PWM.

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi, just need some advice on a cooler for my 10700k with turbo as, as I have coasted on with a cryorig h7 without turbo on,but wish to not lose on the perf any longer. Need some good ones suggeste di fpossible which will keep the cpu below 80 degrees on turbo as it hits 90 - 95 on bfv but most other games sits 64 - 84 whic isnt dangerous but i would prefer it to not. Budget is around 100 quid and open to watercooling though nervous and also aircooling as the easiest choice. My case is a cheap masterbox e500L so there is a limit of 157mm in clearance so I think that singles out the NH D15 unfortunately. I have considered the corsair 110i/100 series but unsure as to how worth it it will be. As I am upgrading my pc genereal with a budget atm 2070 super - 3070 16gb to 32, etc a case change isnt an option for me however I dont have time atm.

Thanks alot!
I use the Cryorig R1with my 10600K overclocked.
This fits in your case and is a good cooler a lot better than the H7.
Never listed your memory so make sure it will clear it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09SD44SL...p_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWxfdGhlbWF0aWM
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermalright-peerless-assassin-120-se/2

Last edited:

matthewmurphy57

Honorable
Oct 8, 2018

i was loking into that too, tbf just the exhaust one near the psu - thinking of getting som ontop of filter and at radiator infront, only issue being in my small uni desk it can only fit one place. and the weather doesnt seem to ensure better temps even in the cold of Glasgow. so maybe better to use a new cooler and new fans to maximise?

matthewmurphy57

Honorable
Oct 8, 2018

Lutfij

Titan
I would advise on fans first, see if that alleviates the temps. If you're not feeding cooler ambient air into your case, the cooler in turn isn't being fed with cooler air to cool your processor. I wouldn't place any fans internally at the top of the case(or externally for that matter), leave the dust filter where it is. I'd pick two 140mm Noctua Redux PWM or Be Quiet! Light Wings fans. Then a 120mm PWM Noctua Redux or Be Quiet! Light Wings fan for the rear.

matthewmurphy57

Honorable
Oct 8, 2018
I would advise on fans first, see if that alleviates the temps. If you're not feeding cooler ambient air into your case, the cooler in turn isn't being fed with cooler air to cool your processor. I wouldn't place any fans internally at the top of the case(or externally for that matter), leave the dust filter where it is. I'd pick two 140mm Noctua Redux PWM or Be Quiet! Light Wings fans. Then a 120mm PWM Noctua Redux or Be Quiet! Light Wings fan for the rear.
Yeah I've been looking unto that, but failing that just because my rooms either stuff and not cool or extremely cold, ice seen some coolers like a500s, h110i, noctua 12u, something like jurma 2, cryorig among 240 masterlite aio and others any suggestions? I've never set up watercooling n jts been a while since building pc stuff? So worried I'll mess it up because even if watercooling isn't overall too much better if it's more consistent over seasons maybe it's better?

Lutfij

Titan
If you're interested in watercooling(AIO by that) the entire watercooling sticky(linked in my sig space) and the Closed Loop Cooler section are still worthwhile reads. If your temps are bad with air cooling, watercooling isn't going to benefit you much except for draining your wallet.

matthewmurphy57

Honorable
Oct 8, 2018
hi guys so overall were recommending the cryorig R1, in the eventuality that the increase in fans isnt noticeable? or is there any other air coolers which would do.

also it is a cryorig H7A* not a h7 as i mistakenly called it