Question i7 10700k gets too hot!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Hello guys, heres my System:

Win 10 Home
i7 10700k not OC
Motherboard: MPG Z490 Gaming Plus (Newest Bios Version)
32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance
650 W Corsair PSU
2 SSDs ( 250GB, 1 TB), 1 HDD (750 GB)
RTX 2070 Super Asus Dual EVO Advanced
CPU Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 4 Pro
Case: Bequiet Pure Base 600 (with the 2 Stock Fans)

I just reinstalled Windows 10, updated all Drivers (Windows Updates, Chipset Drivers etc.)

and my i7 10700k idles at 55 Celsius Degrees most of the time. it weirdly jumps from 52-55 all the time, and CPU Frequence (Clock) is 4700 MHZ all the Time.
I have the Windows Energy Options on Balanced.
I applied a fairly big dot on the CPU (Grizzly Thermal Paste) and applied the CPU Cooler.
I dont know what I can do anymore, its just too hot.
My room temperature is 25 Celsius Degrees.
Thanks for the help!

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
@cryoburner Yeah idling temps stay at 40-50 while Mhz is fluctuating from 800-4800 (I turned off enhanced turbo and left Intel turbo boost on in the bios, I hope that's ok?) but I was playing red dead online and the highest temp It spiked to was 85 which is very high. (Read from MSI afterburner). Mostly it was 60-70. But then I turned the 2 fans a bit higher (from bequiet 600 case) and it got a bit better. I ordered 2 additional fans for the case now, because I had only the 2 installed fans before. I will see if it's better then, if it doesnt help I will replace the CPU cooler. But after that I dont know because I dont want to mess with adjusting voltage stuff

Last edited:
Sorry got to bother again. But after reading multiple threads, theres always the same conclusion. The Intel Turbo Boost is the MCE you mentioned, it just has another name.

Turbo Boost is not MCE; MCE is running all cores at max turbo clocks if possible....(NOT the same thing as Turbo Boost, which is a normal feature, where 1 or 2 cores turbo as high as possible for 'x' duration under load.)

Do not disable Turbo Boost,,,

MCE (if listed as such on a Z-series board) can/should be disabled if your CPU temps are not under control due to inadequate cooling, etc....

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Turbo Boost is not MCE; MCE is running all cores at max turbo clocks if possible....(NOT the same thing as Turbo Boost, which is a normal feature, where 1 or 2 cores turbo as high as possible for 'x' duration under load.)

Do not disable Turbo Boost,,,

MCE (if listed as such on a Z-series board) can/should be disabled if your CPU temps are not under control due to inadequate cooling, etc....
Yeah I disabled enhanced turbo (which is mce I believe because it said it runs all core on max turbo) and left Intel turbo boost on

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Ok I just added 2 additonal system fans, one on the top of the case above the cpu cooler and one more at the front of the case.
Temps are still 30-55 in idle (always fluctuating) dont know why.
When downloading a game and while writing this its even 55-60.
And my CPU fan runs at 875 RPM most of the time at 67 Percent, is that normal or too less RPM?

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
you can start to research manually clocking your CPU and just work on lowering voltage.

Ok so that's all I can do then right ? My fan setup should be fine right? With 4 fans and the dark rock pro 4. I just noticed little tiny scratches on the surface (which i press onto the cpu) of the dark rock pro after reapplying the paste could that impact the temperatures?

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Its just so annyoing now its 50 all the time while im having 7 edge tabs open and watching twitch nothing else. In Red Dead Online the CPU Voltage stay at 1.27 . I dont know what to do anymore.
Its always fluctuating in huge steps. And even in red dead online I get 70 after 30 min of gaming. and then the volt fluctuates from 0.8 to 1.2 while watching twitch and having the tabs open is that normal? I cant find anything about that

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Still using Dragon Center to watch temps? There is a new tool MSI Center which they recommend going to and hve you tried hwinfo?

download hwinfo64,
install and open it,
check "sensors-only",
click "run".

Maybe Dragon Center is one of those tools that keeps a kind of load onto the cpu and makes it therefore hother than it should be, like i see with Origin for example.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Still using Dragon Center to watch temps? There is a new tool MSI Center which they recommend going to and hve you tried hwinfo?

Maybe Dragon Center is one of those tools that keeps a kind of load onto the cpu and makes it therefore hother than it should be, like i see with Origin for example.

Ok thanks I'll try hwinfo first

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Ok so I let hwinfo run a while in idle. The average temps of the CPU package are 40-60 in idle (with even the top lid opened, which is not that good because now more dust can get in, but I have a feeling it's better for the fan on the top because it can exhaust more air and doesnt get that heatened up by a partially closed lid). The maximum CPU package temp in idle was 58. I will now try out the very demanding game cyberpunk and will write an update then about the temps

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Ok @JohnBonhamsGhost @Vic 40 @logainofhades
so I played Cyberpunk 2077 for a while now (all settings on high except shadows) and I got an average CPU Package temperature of 70 degrees celsius. The maximum temperature was 77. with hfwinfo64
Then on my Core VIDs I had an average of 1.234 V and the maximum was 1.328 V (isnt that too high for 4,8 GHz??? ) (Should I try undervolting altough I have no clue and am scared that itll hurt my CPU)
My ambient temps right now is pretty high with 27 .
So now I got another Problem also. The PC makes a weird noise when I'm playing a game, and only then. But its only since today, never had that issue ( I got to admit tough, that I changed my CPU Cooler a few times this week, to see if its better. And removed the Motherboard also a few times, because otherwise I couldnt have mounted the Dark Rock 4 Pro.)
Its difficult to record that because its not that loud. What could that be?

I also added a picture of the open lid and the Top Fan there now, so you can see if thats ok, or if there comes to much dust into the case? I dont have a filter tough for dust, only the lid. And if I can leave it like that also because of flies and stuff which can get into the case?
Picture is from above. Its the top of the case

9tonxsdz.jpg

Last edited:
I dont have a filter tHough for dust
yes you do.
it is blocking dust from being sucked in by your front intakes.

your exhaust fans have no need of a filter.

and if your two front fans are pulling in more air than your exhaust fans are pushing out,
as they should,
than no dust will be sucked into the case other than the very minimal amount that comes through the front filters.

exactly as i already explained

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
yes you do.
it is blocking dust from being sucked in by your front intakes.

your exhaust fans have no need of a filter.

and if your two front fans are pulling in more air than your exhaust fans are pushing out,
as they should,
than no dust will be sucked into the case other than the very minimal amount that comes through the front filters.

exactly as i already explained

ok so but sorry if that sounds dumb, but should I remove the front panel then? Because it is closed, and theres only 2 vertical air openings on each side of the panel. But would it not be better to completly remove the panel so that more air gets sucked in?

And is 1.328 V as maximum Core VID too high, or is it fine? I disabled MCE and only got the Intel Turbo Boost on. Now its 4,8 Ghz otherwise it would be 3,8 Ghz. And I guess a maximum of 77 for Cyberpunk is too high right?
Anf if I lay my hand on the top of the case which is open, theres barely an airflow of the top fan. Is that normal ?
And what would you suggest leave the lid completly away or put it back on?

if I lay my hand on the top of the case which is open, theres barely an airflow of the top fan. Is that normal?
that all depends on the fan curve you have in place.
the speed of the fan and therefore the amount of air being pushed out is up to you.
would you suggest leave the lid completly away or put it back on?
with it on more warm air will be trapped inside for longer periods of time.
should I remove the front panel then? Because it is closed, and theres only 2 vertical air openings on each side of the panel.
they should allow adequate cool air intake.

you can test if removing the front panel will make much of a difference
but if there is no secondary filter in place than you will have too deal with large dust buildup.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
that all depends on the fan curve you have in place.
the speed of the fan and therefore the amount of air being pushed out is up to you.
with it on more warm air will be trapped inside for longer periods of time.
they should allow adequate cool air intake.

you can test if removing the front panel will make much of a difference
but if there is no secondary filter in place than you will have too deal with large dust buildup.
Ok ill try to remove the front panel and see if its better then. But nonetheless I dont think it's normal that I hit 77 while playing cp2077 altough the front panel is closed. Maybe I'll try to remove the CPU and fan and try another one. The solutions get thinner and thinner. And maybe I turn off Intel turbo boost then I have 3,8 ghz and not 4,8 ghz but it's not that hot. Would it really greatly affect the game performance?

Last edited:
Maybe I'll try to remove the CPU and fan and try another one.
you have one of the best air coolers available that comes with some of the best fans available.

other than lowering your voltages as much as possible
the only other recourse you have would be to get a bigger case with more fan placement options.
and possibly add a liquid cooler to it. but without an elaborate custom setup or a really nice 360mm, i doubt you'd see much improvement over the Dark Rock 4 Pro.

maybe I turn off Intel turbo boost then I have 3,8 ghz and not 4,8 ghz
you would have to benchmark games and test different scenarios to tell if the 1GHz drop makes that much of a difference to you.

there's no way i would dish out for a nice CPU just to reduce it to low tier CPU specs.