Question i7 10700k gets too hot!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Hello guys, heres my System:

Win 10 Home
i7 10700k not OC
Motherboard: MPG Z490 Gaming Plus (Newest Bios Version)
32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance
650 W Corsair PSU
2 SSDs ( 250GB, 1 TB), 1 HDD (750 GB)
RTX 2070 Super Asus Dual EVO Advanced
CPU Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 4 Pro
Case: Bequiet Pure Base 600 (with the 2 Stock Fans)

I just reinstalled Windows 10, updated all Drivers (Windows Updates, Chipset Drivers etc.)

and my i7 10700k idles at 55 Celsius Degrees most of the time. it weirdly jumps from 52-55 all the time, and CPU Frequence (Clock) is 4700 MHZ all the Time.
I have the Windows Energy Options on Balanced.
I applied a fairly big dot on the CPU (Grizzly Thermal Paste) and applied the CPU Cooler.
I dont know what I can do anymore, its just too hot.
My room temperature is 25 Celsius Degrees.
Thanks for the help!

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
@JohnBonhamsGhost
Yeah I meant replacing the CPU and cooler with the same ones, maybe there was a problem with my current CPU and cooler.

So would you say I should add more system fans? I got 4 right now. 2 at the front which suck the air in , 1 at the back which exhausts and the one on the picture above on the top of the case which exhausts the air also.

I guess I'll try also undervolting even if I dont like it, but I have to read a tons of guides and stuff to not harm my CPU.

Ok and then I guess I leave the Intel turbo boost on if you say so.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
CPU's running under the thermal limit IS ok!! I got a 10700 with a artic duo usually idles around 30C. All depends on a lot of factors. I wouldn't freak out under the thermal limit.

Happy computing!!
Wow I wish it would be idling at 30. I've got like 40-55 idling, with spikes to 55.
So you would say 77 isnt harmful for cyberpunk? I dont even get 60 fps only like 40-55 LUL it's just weird because I assembled the whole PC a few weeks ago, it's all new and got these problems. Could it be a faulty motherboard?

So would you say I should add more system fans?
you have no more space for fans that would matter.
you would need a bigger case that can house more intakes in either the front, sides, bottom, etc.
other than lowering your voltages as much as possible
the only other recourse you have would be to get a bigger case with more fan placement options.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
you have no more space for fans that would matter.
you would need a bigger case that can house more intakes in either the front, sides, bottom, etc.

I thought the bequiet pure base 600 would be big enough.
So one question I got tough, could a faulty motherboard cause these high temps? Because the MoBo was not good packaged as it arrived. but it's new.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
If you could make a picture of the cpu (with what is left of the paste) when taking the cooler off could we maybe see if you have bad contact.
Ok I have a picture now where I removed the old cooler Dark Rock 4. Thats when I put a dot on the CPU.
But now I used the spreading method to apply the thermal paste.
I just tought maybe its the Motherboard, because its faulty. So i decided to order a new one, slightly different (the z490 Tomahawk) and see if it changes anything.
vnzmdt68.jpg
Thats a picture of the removed CPU Cooler Dark Rock 4. I know I applied a bit too much thermal paste.
With the new method I used the spread method. I will take a picture as soon as I remove the Cooler.

And of course, now that the upper Case Lid is away, i can clearly hear the fans, ans this weird noise. Its annoying.

Last edited:

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Also got a question, if i change my MoBo from the MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus to the MAG Z490 Tomahawk for testing purposes, do I have to deinstall the old chipset drivers and install new ones? Or does the system recognize it itself?

does the system recognize it itself?
there will always be generic drivers pre-loaded in Windows that will be used but you have to install the specific ones meant for your particular motherboard for full functionality.

and it is always recommended to perform a fresh OS install when changing motherboards
before installing the new batch of drivers.
could a faulty motherboard cause these high temps?

through many years of building and repairing systems i have never seen a faulty motherboard cause slightly higher CPU temperatures.

i have seen where voltages were not controlled efficiently and would cause high temperature spikes and crashing, but never just a constant 10-15°C higher than normal.

have you still not bothered with learning about CPU clocking and controlling voltages?
you seem to be going through a lot of unnecessary purchasing, returning, installing, uninstalling, reinstalling, etc looking for some magic fix that i fear you will not find.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
there will always be generic drivers pre-loaded in Windows that will be used but you have to install the specific ones meant for your particular motherboard for full functionality.

and it is always recommended to perform a fresh OS install when changing motherboards
before installing the new batch of drivers.

through many years of building and repairing systems i have never seen a faulty motherboard cause slightly higher CPU temperatures.

i have seen where voltages were not controlled efficiently and would cause high temperature spikes and crashing, but never just a constant 10-15°C higher than normal.

have you still not bothered with learning about CPU clocking and controlling voltages?
you seem to be going through a lot of unnecessary purchasing, returning, installing, uninstalling, reinstalling, etc looking for some magic fix that i fear you will not find.

yeah i took a look but I'm not sure whether I should try it. Because everywhere it says on your own risk, and I dont want to damage the just bought CPU.

Also does it matter if a hard drive is before the intake fan in the case? Does it block a lot of incoming air ?

And I have several weird noises coming from my case, even hearable if closed.

1. I think its my HDD. It always makes noises as if its constantly writing. But I have my OS on a SSD and the games on another SSD. Only Pictures and Documents are on the HDD. Is that normal?

2. This is weird, If I dont start MSI Afterburner with the Windows Start (I enabled an Auto Fan Curve) my graphic card makes weird noises like a cricket after a while, no joke. If I have MSI Afterburner on it disappears, what can that be?

3. When playing a game, and really only when playing, not in the Menu, (Cyberpunk or Fallout 76 for example) theres a strange noise coming out of the case, dont know if its the GPU, could that be Coil Whine? Its very loud and turned up only recently.

And so these spikes from 40-60 when only writing this text here, could be prevented with CPU clocking and undervolting?

About the Case, I now changed the fans. It looks like on the picture now. I dismounted the top fan, and have only 3 fans now. Dont really see much of a temperature difference right now.

7-.jpg

And 1.319 V is too high for 4,8 Ghz right?

I know theres a lot of questions, I just want to make sure.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
regarding having hot drives in the way of airflow;
the very first comment i made in this thread was directing you to remove the drive trays blocking the front fans.

yeah I emptied all the empty brackets for multiple hdds, but the one where my HDD is in I cant remove. And now its in the middle of the lower fan.
I cant put it elsewhere the brackets for the HDDs are in front of the fans. Otherwise I'd have to put one fan on the top instead on the ground, and on all picturea I see they always mount one front fan in the middle and one below (like on the picture above), never do I see a fan above the middle fan.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
77 is under thermal limit your fine. BTW I usually install 6-8 case fans on each build I do. And a PLAT power supply.

yeah the thing is i can install 2 140 mm fans on the front, which I have and 2 on the top. So theres basically 5 then.
Or I install 3 120 mm on the top, 3 120 mm on the front. Then I would have 7.

But is it also fine when it stays at 77 all the time while gaming? Because i recently had dips to 80 very often in Cyberpunk.

one of the drive docks in the way shouldn't really block much air
but if the drive is emitting an excessive amount of heat i would be replacing it or moving it to an external dock.
using M.2 and 2.5" SATA SSDs is a much better option these days anyway.

the best solution with 2x 140mm in the front would be one blowing directly toward the RAM, CPU, and VRMs.
and one blowing directly towards the GPU.

you should also remove the 5.25" bay.
and if you can,
fit a 3rd fan along with the 2x 140s to make it a complete wall of intake.

my Dark Base 700's front panel was set up similarly;
2x 140mm and a single 120mm below them in the front panel.

Last edited:
i can install 2 140 mm fans on the front, which I have and 2 on the top. So theres basically 5 then.
Or I install 3 120 mm on the top, 3 120 mm on the front. Then I would have 7
with this case the best possible scenario would be;
3x front intakes, 2x exhaust.

you do not want cool air being exhausted before it gets a chance to do it's job.
so you want slightly more cool air coming in than warm air being exhausted.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
@JohnBonhamsGhost

so basically the 2 bigger ones above and the 120mm at the bottom? Ok Ill try if it works and let you know .

So you said best scenario would be 3x front, 2x exhaust.
I can put only 1 at the exhaust, or I have to to it at the top, which I honestly dont want because of the open lid then, and the noises.

So 2x 140mm and 1x 120 mm in front and 1x120 mm at the back as exhaust would that be ok?

you would possibly have inadequate exhaust then and more heat would circulate around the top possibly leading to higher CPU temps again.

the top rear vents in the removable top panel do not allow much air to escape but they do allow some.
so even leaving a fan here along with the top panel would be better than nothing.

but try whatever you want.
you don't really seem to want to take people's advice even though you continually come back here asking for it.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
SO either 2x 140mm at the front and 1x120mm at the back. But not 2x140mm and 1x 120mm at the front and only 1 x 120 mm at the back.
Because I can only mount 1 exhaust fan.
So you say even if the lid is fully closed, with its little 4 air vents or whatever that is, i can run a top rear vent? Because when I removed the lid (the pc was running) it was pretty hot from the exhaust of the top rear vent. So I guess if I close it completly , it would not be could for the inside of the case right?

So played cyberpunk again and it fluctuates from 70-80 now. I dont know why it get hotter.

And yes I want to take peoples advice, I just am a bit nervous about the undervolting because it can harm the CPU but I will try it, because I have no other choice, when the CPU heats up that much.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
I jst dont get it. I have no 2 front fans installed and 1 in the back as exhaust. I have the dark rock pro 4 , I reapplied the thermal paste and I still get peaks to 76 in cyberpunk after 20 minutes with 70 averaging. And when only watching a video I have 50. I dont know what's wrong with that stuff. I think I will return the mobo, CPU and cooler and try the same stuff from another retailer. Or do you think undervolting will work? I mean I run the i7 at 4,8 ghz but that's what it is supposed to be.