Question i7 10700k gets too hot!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Hello guys, heres my System:

Win 10 Home
i7 10700k not OC
Motherboard: MPG Z490 Gaming Plus (Newest Bios Version)
32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance
650 W Corsair PSU
2 SSDs ( 250GB, 1 TB), 1 HDD (750 GB)
RTX 2070 Super Asus Dual EVO Advanced
CPU Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 4 Pro
Case: Bequiet Pure Base 600 (with the 2 Stock Fans)

I just reinstalled Windows 10, updated all Drivers (Windows Updates, Chipset Drivers etc.)

and my i7 10700k idles at 55 Celsius Degrees most of the time. it weirdly jumps from 52-55 all the time, and CPU Frequence (Clock) is 4700 MHZ all the Time.
I have the Windows Energy Options on Balanced.
I applied a fairly big dot on the CPU (Grizzly Thermal Paste) and applied the CPU Cooler.
I dont know what I can do anymore, its just too hot.
My room temperature is 25 Celsius Degrees.
Thanks for the help!

Ok ill try to remove the front panel and see if its better then. But nonetheless I dont think it's normal that I hit 77 while playing cp2077 altough the front panel is closed.
That temperature seems perfectly normal. As has been pointed out multiple times, load temperatures in the 70s are not much of a concern for modern CPUs, and it's not surprising to see a high-power processor like a 10700K hitting those temperatures on a tower cooler. And if the CPU fan slows down at idle, temperatures around the 50s might not be unexpected either, and almost certainly won't be harmful to the processor, as they are not anywhere remotely close to its thermal limits.

Again, modern CPUs tend to be quite durable and have failsafes in place that make CPU failures extremely uncommon. If a piece of hardware ever fails in your system, it's most likely going to be something other than the CPU. And you are probably much more likely to damage something while reapplying thermal paste and reinstalling components than you are from those kinds of temperatures. I think you are being overly concerned about something that isn't actually an issue.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Ok so now I reapplied the paste and switched the motherboard on and off a few times to see if it's better, do you think the high temperatures can come from that? :)

And altough it would decrease the temps would you say lowering the clock speed from 4,8 to 3,8 could be a solution ? I dont notice any performance decrease in games right now while playing 1440p when lowering from 4,8 to 3,8 ghz. Or should I leave Intel turbo boost on?

And the highest temp so far in cyberpunk was 81, I mean that's dangerous right?

I'm thinking about trying the undervolting and using a YouTube video of two cents for it would you say it's a good idea?

And altough it would decrease the temps would you say lowering the clock speed from 4,8 to 3,8 could be a solution ? I dont notice any performance decrease in games right now while playing 1440p when lowering from 4,8 to 3,8 ghz. Or should I leave Intel turbo boost on?
As has been said before, that would not be a good solution, as you would be cutting over 20% of your CPU's performance, and making your processor perform more like a much cheaper processor. In games that have their performance limited mostly by your graphics card, that might not make all that noticeable of a difference, but in other games that are more demanding on the CPU, there could be a noticeable performance hit.

And the highest temp so far in cyberpunk was 81, I mean that's dangerous right?
Not really. Modern CPUs are designed to limit their clock rates automatically to avoid exceeding "safe" temperatures, and if temperatures did manage to reach levels that would be unsafe in the short-term, the system should automatically power-itself down.

According to Intel, the maximum "Tjunction" operating temperature for a 10700K is 100C. And you can read what they have to say about nearing the temperature limits of their processors here...
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005597/processors.html

"In sustained workloads, it's possible the processor will operate at or near its maximum temperature limit. Being at maximum temperature while running a workload isn't necessarily cause for concern. Intel processors constantly monitor their temperature and can very rapidly adjust their frequency and power consumption to prevent overheating and damage."

So, according to them, it should not be harmful for a 10700K to get near 100C, and if it did reach that level, it would immediately cut clock rates to avoid burning up the processor. Personally, I wouldn't want to see temperatures in the 90s even if they are technically considered "safe" by Intel, but temperatures around 80 are arguably far enough away from that temperature limit to not be a major concern.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
@cryoburner Ok but I see a lot of people getting only 55-60 in cyberpunk and they dont even have water cooling and the same processor. Would you say I could try undervolting? Do you know a good guide, I didnt find one so far. And do you think changing the motherboard to another one could help?

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
So got another question, as I said as I'm only writing this in this forum and have MSI Center open CPU Temp goes from 41-60. The CPU Fan is spinning at 45 % with 628 RPM. I mean could it be the CPU Fan? Is 628 RPM not too low for 45 Percent Fan Speed?
And how do I see if the second Fan on my Dark Rock 4 Pro is even spinning? it only shows one CPU Fan.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Please can no one tell me how undervolting works? I cant find any good guide. There is one from yourtechbro but its for laptops And it uses a software Throttlestop and not the Bios. I dont want to damage anything I just want lower temps :(