Question i7-11700K down clocking to 800mHz

Sep 17, 2024
I've been trying to help a friend troubleshoot his pc for a bit now since his computer was extremely underperforming on most restarts. After some testing we found that his cpu clock speed is 800mHz whenever he gets a "bad boot" and on the rare occasion he gets a "good boot" his clock speed is 3600mHz. His pc isn't thermal throttling and I can't find anything else that is different between a good and bad boot. I'm not experienced enough with bios settings to risk damaging a friends system so we haven't gone too deep into it. What are some things we could check or change to try and fix this issue?

CPU: Intel Core i7-11700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
Ram: 2 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
SSD/HDD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
GPU: Asus ROG STRIX GAMING OC GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G6 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Chassis: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower PC case
Monitor: Alienware AW2720HF 27.0" 1920 x 1080 240 Hz Monitor

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you get into BIOS and see what your temps look like? Also, does your BIOS time keep resetting after a cold boot?

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Sep 17, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you get into BIOS and see what your temps look like? Also, does your BIOS time keep resetting after a cold boot?

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.
Thank you for the welcome and letting me know the right way to post. I'll find out that info.

@ZShield

ThrottleStop 9.6
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Open the ThrottleStop - Limit Reasons window. When the CPU is stuck at 800 MHz, you are likely going to see BD PROCHOT glowing red. That is the reason for throttling. If you see this, go back out to the main ThrottleStop screen and clear the BD PROCHOT check box. Post some screenshots of ThrottleStop if you need help.

When a sensor on the motherboard external to the CPU fails, it can send a constant throttling signal to the CPU. This is not temperature related. It is just a cheap sensor that has failed. It is not worth replacing the motherboard. You will need to use ThrottleStop all of the time so the CPU can ignore these erroneous external throttling signals.

his clock speed is 3600mHz
An 11700K should be running a lot faster than that. Post some ThrottleStop screenshots so you can learn how to run this CPU at its full Intel rated speed. 3600 MHz is the speed these CPUs run at when Intel Turbo Boost has been disabled. There is no reason to do that.

Last edited: