I7 2600K Overclocked! 4.9 GHz!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ares1214

Splendid
Hey all! So heres a video of the i7 2600K, Sandy Bridge unlocked of course, being overclocked to 4.9 GHz stable on air:

http://apcmag.com/Content.aspx?id=6203

Stock frequency is 3.4 GHz, for a clock increase of over 44% on air! Keep in mind, this is a K edition, top end, and likely cherry picked for the best of the best one. Id expect these to hit 4.5 GHz air for the normal person with a normal air cooler and a good motherboard. Non-K edition really dont seem to be able to OC as of now.

ares1214

Splendid
That made no sense :lol: Care to explain? And does anybody else find it humourous how they specifically say to blot it out, and then at the very end it gives you a clear as day view of the side, and almost clear view of the times and scores? I DID! :lol:

ares1214

Splendid
Like i said, Intel has always done this, and has always cherrypicked the very best manufactured ones to do this, with the most professional team, and so on. Like i said, normal people will likely be seeing 4.5 GHz. And sure thats good, but its 32nm, so its not really anything AMAZING per se. Id rather see scores, temps, voltage, and such.

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
My i7 930 was at 4.2ghz for a little wile on air, ok temps were 70's on load playing Mafia II and Assassin's Creed II, and crashed 6 hours into game play. CPU related, doubtful..

ares1214

Splendid
Yeah, and thats with likely not as good of a air cooler as they had, or as well of an air cooled case (no offense :lol: ), it wasnt 32nm, and it wasnt cherry picked best of the best. So 4.9 GHz is great and all, but the circumstances dont make it much of a game changer.

It never showed the final time and score. The highest score on the list is a xeon @3.2ghz (W5680) and the guy in the video said the score was north of 12 so all we got from that video is that its fast and it will be based clocked at 3.4ghz.

ares1214

Splendid
Subsiquent steppings might hit 5 GHz air. But this undoubtably was a cherry picked one, so i dont expect this. Down the road, definitely, but at the begining, nope. Maybe although. Liquid might be pushing 6 GHz, but assuming they used the best aircooler, which they likely did, id guess 5.5 GHz fairly easily. Pretty exciting stuff though. What im more excited about is the locked bus. If the bus is locked, and the multiplier is not on these K edition ones, then it means the only difference between the 3.4 GHz K edition and a 3.06 GHz K edition is JUST the adjustable multiplier being set higher. Now, knowing intel the 3.4 GHz one will sell for $100+ more than the lower multiplier ones, and the K edition themselves will come at a premium no doubt, but these means overclocking a 3.06 GHz K will be the exact same as 3.4 GHz, and extremely easy, and likely a very good value. Just crank the multiplier up on both of them. None of this $1000 black edition non sense.

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Everytime I read about K-series being unlocked it seems they always mention they still only have 57-multipliers. If that goes down to sub 500Mhz, it means that even K series can't go past 6Ghz, regardless of cooling/voltage.

notty22

Distinguished
4.4 -4.5 is possible on the current 32nm clarksdales, its the 45nm igp , which has the imc (memory controller) in those models that holds them back.
Going from 3.8 - 4.2 for current Intel Quads i5-i7's, to 4.0 - 4.7 for socket 1155 should be EXCITING for everyone. !

The rep at the end of the video, after he notes the rendering was done faster than a 12 core operton.
Behold the power of Sandy Bridge.

ares1214

Splendid
@ Notty, yeah, sure, but this was starting at 3.4 GHz. Lets say the avergae person with a good aircooler can get this to 4.7 GHz. 3.4 GHz-4.7 GHz is 38% increase, i7 was 2.8 to 4.1 GHz easy, and thats 46% increase. So now really behold the power of SB, its not like its getting better overclocking from stock necessarily. Its good, but its not an AMD crusher like half the people here have said. And @ ZZFH, yeah. the one anadtech got was over $550, the same used here. Then the locked version of that is $200 less. So its not gonna be good paying a premium for the unlocked ones. Then you get bumped down to now hyperthreading, which for some people may not matter, but is still a real bummer. :pfff:

ares1214

Splendid
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-preview-three-wins-in-a-row/4

It’s based on this roadmap that I mentioned some pricing earlier. If all stays the same, the Core i7 2600K will take the place of the Core i7 950, currently priced at $562. The 2600 will fit somewhere around the 680 and 875K ($342) and the 2500K will replace the i5 760/655K ($205 - $216).

The cheapest Sandy Bridge at launch will be the Core i3 2100, which will replace the i3 560 at around $138.

Tsk Tsk, always so untrusting. Granted, they might fluctuate a little at release, but those are it. Then on the CPU chart lineup:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-preview-three-wins-in-a-row/1

Only the 2600K and 2600 show hyperthreading. Considering those 2, as posted above cost $562, and $342 respectively, then that means the cheapest one, apparently, they might do something, but from this chart, the cheapest one with HT is $342. The Cheapest one that can OC is just over $200. And the cheapest one with both is $562 apparently.

ares1214

Splendid
Those were current CPU pricing. Now, you cant honestly tell me Intel will release them from very far away from those prices. The big price cuts were just to make room for this. And this follows Intels pricing lately. It wouldnt surprise me if they cost even more than what he said for current gen.

notty22

Distinguished

Listen , we still don't know the prices. He's postulating where the cpu's might compare to current offerings. Model positioning.
Also right now the i7 950 is 300.00 dollars.
A certain someone takes liberal use of 'AMD says' needs to be fact checked.
I also expect the 2500K to be a little more than 210.00 the current i5-760 price, but I won't complain if it comes in at that.

If this is true, that 2500K will easily push AMD to make pretty large price cuts as well. I doubt that Phenom II will be able to keep up with SB on a clock per clock and this is a unlocked CPU meaning it will OC much like a BE using the multiplier mainly.

Then we have to just wait and see what the mobo vendors do. Asus has been showing promise with seperate EPU chips. Maybe they will find a way to allow us to clock the BCLK higher without frying the USB/SATA.

ares1214

Splendid
@ Notty, the 950 is $300 after how long on the market? If you honestly think the 2600K will release at $300 just because thats where the 950 is NOW, you cant guess. His guesses are right in line with what intel is, has, and usually does. i5 750 for $200, add hyperthreading for an extra $100, then add the next model up as far as clock speed to bring it up to $500+. Its the exact same thing. Those are very likely what Intel will release them at, and im sure he has some inside info, so his numbers seem right on. Even if they are a little off, the only direction id imagine them going is up.

@Jimmy, The motherboard fix is possible, but im not getting my hopes up. Intel obviously did it for a reason besides pissing off overclockers :lol: Likely reason is possibly adds a tiny bit of speed, makes the motherboards cheaper, and lets them charge more for the overclocking models. I doubt intel would want them messing with any of those. Even then, it wouldnt surprise me if the added cost of the mobo makes it the same as buying an unlocked CPU. But i suppose it is possible. And AMD likely wont be getting many buys between the release of SB and Llano, but they just have to really consolidate their efforts in the low end, making Zacate go well, and using ATI, which is very much so ahead. But your definitely right, AMD is gonna be really behind and going to have to really cut prices if they cant hurry things up.

notty22

Distinguished

Hoy, I don't suggest any price, and I don't think Anand did either. He addressed pricing in a round about way, because he knew people would ask.
So he went over the current model lineup and threw a dart at Sandy Bridge positioning.

Then you take literally , Anand said they are going to be XX.xx .
I disagree with that guessing.

First off your hyperthreading argument does not hold true on Clarksdale.
Intel Pentium G6950 99.00
I3 530 110.00

ares1214

Splendid
That "guessing" as you call it is entirely logical, and extremely probable. And the SB we are talking about isnt in that price range, and therefore the point is moot. I provided what its replacing, and its current price range, and it fits it.

Status
Not open for further replies.