i7 4770 vs 4770k?

Sharks445

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
What is the difference, besides overclocking?
I already brought a b85 chipset board, so it's kind of already too late to start overclocking.
I would like to run virtual machines and gaming on this computer.
Should I invest $30 more and get the k version, or should I put that $30 towards a better GPU?

Solution
The B85 chipset doesn't support changing the frequency multiplier.
If you have to use a mobo with that chipset, definately don't get the K version.
If your purpose is gaming, get the i5 4570 and invest more in the graphics card.
This is the best gaming performance/money option you can get.

menetlaus

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
If your motherboard doesn't support (much) overclocking... or you have no desire to OC it.. get a better GPU.

If not running a lot of VM's and planning more a gaming rig - maybe save another ~$100 and get an i5-(4670?) as the main difference is hyperthreading (which isn't much help for games).

Danoded

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
There is literally no difference between the two processors apart from the fact that the "k" gives you headroom to overclock to your hearts desire while the non "k" doesn't. The "k" only has a slight performance increase compared to the non "k" as you can see here:

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4770K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4770

The 4770k only beats the 4770 because of its ability to overclock further (if you wish to that is) and even the author suggests that there is no need for the 4770k unless you want to overclock. Both CPU's will get the job done as they're top of the range and I would suggest putting that $30 towards a better GPU if you're not concerned about the speed anytime in the near future.

The B85 chipset doesn't support changing the frequency multiplier.
If you have to use a mobo with that chipset, definately don't get the K version.
If your purpose is gaming, get the i5 4570 and invest more in the graphics card.
This is the best gaming performance/money option you can get.

Solution