[SOLVED] i7 4790k vs r7 3700x

Azhureuz

Honorable
Dec 10, 2014
Gals and Guys,

Freaking....wanna upgrade from my old 4790k into something new. Dont wanna go overboard with price, so perfect price for me would be around the now released 3700x.
I have rtx 2080 and would like to go for some x570 board with 16+ gigs RAM. Is it that big step or maybe wait another few years for 4th series Ryzen or new upcoming Intel ?

So I am only playing games, tho I saw many vids where people have similar setups with just newer HW and getting a bit higher FPS in most games. Makes me wonder if 4790k is kinda old for todays gaming :) I play 1440p high demanding games like Hunt, Division 2, AC Odyssey and so on.

Last edited:
Solution
I bought into the 3700x and it is a monster chip. I upgraded from a 3570k @4.4ghz. Sure, it is not a huge improvement in single threaded applications, but when a game or application takes advantage of more than 4 cores (pubg and BFV) it truly shines.

I have noticed my gpu (980ti) remains at 97%+ utilization at all times. Much smoother game play. All around better gaming experience. I mean, I noticed a difference with my old a*s 980ti, I'm sure the rtx 2080 will get a decent jump in performance/utilization.

Go for it dude!

Azhureuz

Honorable
Dec 10, 2014
If you really want to upgrade, it would be a worthy choice.
Whether or not its worth it is up to you, up until last year I was running a Phenom II.
Yeah I am really tempted to buy new ryzen, looks deadly this 3K series, just wanated to be sure if that is actualy a clever choice. After all 4790k is legendary CPU, still works fine for me. But the feeling I might get more juice from my 2080 with newer/better CPU is just not letting me sleep well :D

Azhureuz

Honorable
Dec 10, 2014
Is the current system falling short in any way in your current usage?

If not, then stick with what you have - the 4790k is still plenty capable.
no, not really man, its running games just fine, but how I wrote before, feeling I could go better is just to tempting, thats why I post it here, to make sure if its relevant or total stupidity.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'd suggest hanging on to what you have, and only upgrading when your current system can't handle what yuo're throwing at it.

I mean, for example, if you've got a monitor with a 60Hz refresh rate, then if you're already getting 60fps, going any faster will be held back by your monitor.

And - if you're going for ultra-fast frame rates, and have a monitor that can do it, generally the human eye can't see things beyond a certain point (I doubt much of a noticeable difference would be detected between, say, 100fps and 144 fps).

If it's gaming well, my take is: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
I got the msi b450 gaming plus atx one of the first boards to get a bios update.According to msi this board support R9 cpu's.Doesn't mean i will upgrade as my board won't handle it.At most the highest i would go are 3600 maybe 3600x

Yeah I am really tempted to buy new ryzen, looks deadly this 3K series, just wanated to be sure if that is actualy a clever choice. After all 4790k is legendary CPU, still works fine for me. But the feeling I might get more juice from my 2080 with newer/better CPU is just not letting me sleep well :D
Listen. I know exactly what you're talking about because I feel the same way with every new CPU launch if it seems a lot better. I had a 4770k and I was tempted to get the 6700K but I held out. I then was tempted with the 7700k but I still didn't upgrade. Then for a while I started wanting an i7 5775c because I heard its L4 cache made it a monster gaming chip. I didn't upgrade until this year. I got a Core i5 8600K and overclocked it to 5GHz. Sure it did better than the 4770k but I knew Zen 2 was coming as I have had my eye on it since it was first announced. I looked at all the leaks and everything. I watched more than 50 videos on it. Before launch. Mostly rumors and stuff like that. I was thinking I could get a 6 core 12 thread chip for $99 because of the adored tv leak. Then when I saw the actual prices I was slightly disappointed. Also I am disappointed with the clock speed but happy about the ipc boost. So it kind of evens out really. The Zen 2 CPU was the CPU I really wanted and I just wasn't going to be happy without it as far as my PC goes that is. I saw the reviews.. The early reviews and I purchased my Ryzen 3600 from newegg. I could not be happier... Well unless I had a better CPU of course. This CPU can't be beat for the price especially if you're a gamer. You could get a 2600 for $120 but I still would go with the 3600 every single time. It's just that good. You don't have to upgrade your CPU yet but listen.. I know the feeling of wanting something better. You have two options really. Just let it go and enjoy your rig... Or upgrade that CPU. Personally I'd do it if it would help you sleep better at night and besides you're going to want a good CPU to go with the RTX 2080. And if money is an issue you should try to cut back where possible and save up. I'm on SSI myself because I'm disabled. I can still buy these highend parts by saving and cutting back where possible. All you have to do is save $67 a month and go on an upgrade cycle of every 2 years for the graphics card and every 3 or 5 years for the CPU. Trust me... You can get whatever you want for your PC if you just save $67 a month every month. I know not everyone can do that but it's an option for most of us. I do surveys to get an additional $80 a month to save up. I could earn more but I think $80 is good enough.

Baumber

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
I bought into the 3700x and it is a monster chip. I upgraded from a 3570k @4.4ghz. Sure, it is not a huge improvement in single threaded applications, but when a game or application takes advantage of more than 4 cores (pubg and BFV) it truly shines.

I have noticed my gpu (980ti) remains at 97%+ utilization at all times. Much smoother game play. All around better gaming experience. I mean, I noticed a difference with my old a*s 980ti, I'm sure the rtx 2080 will get a decent jump in performance/utilization.

Go for it dude!

Solution