[SOLVED] i7-4960x I am out of the Loop!

Dec 8, 2020
I am way out of the loop when it comes to building a rig.

The last time I had a new processor, was around 2013. I acquired a i7-4960x, 6 core 3.6GHz. Sitting next to it in my office is an Intel DX79SR motherboard. Neither have been opened. I m using an i5, I think.

I was looking to build a new system based on AMD Ryzen 5000 series, but as everyone is aware, there is NO stock!

Is it worth opening these two, old, Intel beauties up and building a system? Or would I get noticeable, better performance out of a newer AMD Ryzen processor, but not the elusive, latest, 5000 series. I'd like to have something before Christmas.

Use would be a gaming machine and some productivity. Maybe video editing and content creation. Streaming while gaming. But mostly gaming. Not sure of what games, I will let my kids choose. So most likely some of the latest stuff from Steam.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Solution
Well, here is what you can expect with a i7-4960x, it beats actually newer i7-8700k at same clock speed while gaming. Just ignore all the talk about new generations, Only slight IPC gains past 7 years = intel. Ryzen 5000 series is fine choice. :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0XXIaNYe8E

EDIT: remember its quad channel ram vs dual channel, quad is superior in performace even at lower frequency. Your board supports quad channel ram.
Obviously ryzen 5000 series is better, just saying cause motherboard is from 2012 and cpu from 2013 doesnt mean its bad.
I am way out of the loop when it comes to building a rig.

The last time I had a new processor, was around 2013. I acquired a i7-4960x, 6 core 3.6GHz. Sitting next to it in my office is an Intel DX79SR motherboard. Neither have been opened. I m using an i5, I think.

I was looking to build a new system based on AMD Ryzen 5000 series, but as everyone is aware, there is NO stock!

Is it worth opening these two, old, Intel beauties up and building a system? Or would I get noticeable, better performance out of a newer AMD Ryzen processor, but not the elusive, latest, 5000 series. I'd like to have something before Christmas.

Use would be a gaming machine and some productivity. Maybe video editing and content creation. Streaming while gaming. But mostly gaming. Not sure of what games, I will let my kids choose. So most likely some of the latest stuff from Steam.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
If you waited until now, I would advise you to wait a couple of months to get your hands on a Ryzen 5000 series CPU.
I would not bring budget into question, when you had $1200 worth of unused hardware just laying around. ;)

Last edited:
Well, here is what you can expect with a i7-4960x, it beats actually newer i7-8700k at same clock speed while gaming. Just ignore all the talk about new generations, Only slight IPC gains past 7 years = intel. Ryzen 5000 series is fine choice. :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0XXIaNYe8E

EDIT: remember its quad channel ram vs dual channel, quad is superior in performace even at lower frequency. Your board supports quad channel ram.
Obviously ryzen 5000 series is better, just saying cause motherboard is from 2012 and cpu from 2013 doesnt mean its bad.

Last edited:
Solution
yeah high end parts from the past are still valuable. especially the motherboards. sell them and get a new pc

a ryzen 3600 based PC will be allright.

I actually never heard of anyone who has this beast of a cpu, i wouldnt be suprised if it beats i9-9900k in gaming, probably does since IPC gains are zero from 8th to 9th gen. Im just salivating over quad channel ram support what hes motherboard has.

People reading this are probably like, BUT I THOUGHT EVERY GENERATION NEW MOTHERBAORD, NEW RAM, NEW EVERYTHING IS BETTER haha

I need to stop supporting intel after looking few of the comparison videos, this is just sad. Seems like its common knowledge ivy bridge E beats coffee lake hands down. I have no idea how thats possible but yes.

Dec 8, 2020
Thanks for the feedback... As you can see why it 'was' such a quandary.

Judicious: Budget... yeah, and it's even more disappointing: I have 3 of the processors, and 2 of the motherboards.

lga1156: I think it's all coming back to me, now. You're right.... no Ivy Bridge E Support. Too bad, I sold all my Sandy Bridge processors a couple years ago. :/

King_V: Yeah, since my motherboard doesn't have support... I think I just put myself in to the category of "someone who specifically wants very high end parts of that era."

Unless I can find a reasonably priced motherboard (I still like 'value'!) ... I will likely be waiting until AMD is stocked, after the first of the year. Maybe by that time, these items will sell. Blah! What's a couple more months after 7 years?!?!

Thanks again for the prompt replies and thoughts!

-Ed

Thanks for the feedback... As you can see why it 'was' such a quandary.

Judicious: Budget... yeah, and it's even more disappointing: I have 3 of the processors, and 2 of the motherboards.

lga1156: I think it's all coming back to me, now. You're right.... no Ivy Bridge E Support. Too bad, I sold all my Sandy Bridge processors a couple years ago. :/

King_V: Yeah, since my motherboard doesn't have support... I think I just put myself in to the category of "someone who specifically wants very high end parts of that era."

Unless I can find a reasonably priced motherboard (I still like 'value'!) ... I will likely be waiting until AMD is stocked, after the first of the year. Maybe by that time, these items will sell. Blah! What's a couple more months after 7 years?!?!

Thanks again for the prompt replies and thoughts!

-Ed

Do you have already 4 x 4 gb of DDR3 for quad channel? If you do then getting getting motherboard is not such a bad idea. Get a motherboard with good vrm if you want to slightly overclock the processor perhaps, you need decent power supply for that. I doubt you need to performance wise but getting decent motherboard is never bad idea. Seems like 4.5-4.6ghz is quite possible https://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/intel_core_i7_4960x_ivy_bridge_e_review,5.html

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020
Thanks LGA!

I have a lot of memory. I'll check to see what it is.

I have stock coolers, and a liquid one, as well. Never liquid cooled.

My power supplies should be adequate. I always oversize, looking for the future. Which I never take advantage of.

I always had the big eyes and ideas for overclocking and having the fastest gaming rig available, but never got around to actually implementing. So, I've held off on gaming. I've spent more time and money on my home server rack than on my PC/workstation. Life gets in the way.

I'll take a look at the available motherboards. Several I looked at are showing up as used on NE. But, I want new. I never trust that used gear!