[SOLVED] I7 6700k overheating to 100°c

Aug 16, 2019
I have a
z270m mortar board
I7 6700k cpu
2 corsair 8gb 3000mhz sticks (new)
1 gskill 8gb 3000mhz stick (old but never had an issue til upgrade)
And my cpu cooler is a enermax liqtech

I recently got 2 sticks of corsair ram and finally got around to installing them. As soon as i put them in i went to my BIOS to format and noticed my cpu was running at 90-100°c while board temp stayed at its usual 35 range (all while idle, no gaming im just in bios) i took my cooler off, cleaned the old paste and put new paste on, dusted it all off and im still having the same problem. My pc doesnt turn itself off like it would if it overheated but i need to find a solution asap as this is also my work pc. Ill answer any questions i can, really starting to get frustrated as ive never had this issue in building

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Exactly. If the line from the radiator to the pump is cool, then there is clearly an issue and it's almost certainly related to the pump.

A few things that can happen here. One is, the pump just isn't running, but if it FEELS like it's running, then it's probably running and just not pumping.

If it is running and just isn't pumping, then it's possible the problem could be due to several factors. One is an air lock like I explained earlier. The other is that the motor is turning but it is not driving the vanes of the pump because either something has broken, like the impeller shaft, or it has become uncoupled. None of the reasons really matter other than an air lock, because if it is running and not pumping, and it's not an air bubble...
Check you cooler mounting. I'd bet something has come loose. It might not be the cooler itself, it could be the backplate or hardware.

Check your monitoring software or the bios, to see that there is an appropriate pump RPM signal as well. Put your finger on the top of the pump and see if you can feel it running. Check both hoses to see if they are both hot or if one or the other is only warm, or is cool.

There could be an air bubble, try tilting the case front to back or side to side while it is running to dislodge the air bubble and return it to the radiator.

Make sure the pump is actually still plugged in and didn't get disconnected while installing the memory. Verify all the fans are running normally.

Aug 16, 2019
Checked mounting, repasted again. Pump feels like its running and one tube is hot one tube is cold. All connections were checked, disconnected and reconnected. Ive been laying the pc on its side to do work so the bubble sounds plausible. Have to stop for the night but will resume in the morning, i resumed the tower to its upright position for the time being

Exactly. If the line from the radiator to the pump is cool, then there is clearly an issue and it's almost certainly related to the pump.

A few things that can happen here. One is, the pump just isn't running, but if it FEELS like it's running, then it's probably running and just not pumping.

If it is running and just isn't pumping, then it's possible the problem could be due to several factors. One is an air lock like I explained earlier. The other is that the motor is turning but it is not driving the vanes of the pump because either something has broken, like the impeller shaft, or it has become uncoupled. None of the reasons really matter other than an air lock, because if it is running and not pumping, and it's not an air bubble, then it's done.

If it's under warranty I'd contact the manufacturer. If it's not under warranty, then it's probably a foregone conclusion that you need to look at options for a new CPU cooler.

I'd try dislodging the air bubble first, in case there is one. You can do that by various methods involving changing the position of the radiator in relation to the pump's location and there are plenty of forum threads on how to do that to sufficiently make it not worth going over that again, here.

If it's not an air bubble, and it's a pump issue, then the unit is done. How old is that cooler? These things only have a lifespan of a couple of years.

Solution

spat55

Distinguished
Checked mounting, repasted again. Pump feels like its running and one tube is hot one tube is cold. All connections were checked, disconnected and reconnected. Ive been laying the pc on its side to do work so the bubble sounds plausible. Have to stop for the night but will resume in the morning, i resumed the tower to its upright position for the time being
That sounds like a pump failure to me, even if you can feel something if it's only running at 5% of it's speed it'll be getting way to hot, if it was fine before and just started to happen then it's more than likely a cooler issue.