Question i7 7700k High Temp Concern

cadefoster

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I'm currently using a i7 7700k stock cpu with a brand new noctua nh-d15 and I'm a little concerned with the temps i've been seeing. With prime 26.6 small ftt tests, my cpu hits 85c in just a couple of minutes according hwmonitor. I've remounted my cooler 3 times just to make sure my install was good and i saw similar results each time. My case has good air flow, a fractal r5 with 2 front intake, bottom intake and rear exaust. I do have MCE and xmp profiles enabled which i know adds extra heat but for some reason if i disable the xmp, my system becomes unstable with random blue screens. I have my voltage set to auto but hwmonitor is showing 1.264v max which doesn't seem excessive. any thought as to what I can do to bring those temps down? Thanks!

i7 7700k stock with mce enabled
asus prime z270 mobo
16g ddr 4 am
rtx 2080 gpu
corsair 750 gold psu

Lutfij

Titan
What sort of speeds are the sticks of ram rated to run? If you disable XMP, you can try and manually key int eh latency/timings, frequency and voltage in the BIOS. SPeaking of BIOS, are you on the latest BIOS revision for the motherboard?

cadefoster

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
My ram is rated for 3200mz with xmp. I think there is a newer bios version for my mobo but I've always been a little hesitant to update in case something goes wrong and it bricks the board. I've thought about tying to adjust the ram settings manually but honestly that goes a little beyond my pc skill set.

I have the same CPU , same cooler (but with only a single center Noctua fan mounted due to 2nd fan would sit too high for my Corsair 100R's case cover to fit), and same Asus Z270A-1 Prime mainboard, as a point of comparison...

My own 7700K sample only hits 65C in small FFTs stock (single core at 4.5 GHz), 69C in MCE (all core 4.5 GHz), and 74C at 4.7 GHz all core MCE (via Intel XTU manipulation) at the same stock 1.264 Volts....(4.8 GHz unstable at 1.264 volts, but, fine at a .05V core bump, but, alas, w/ temps too warm for my tastes at 84C...)

It sounds as though your CPU sample unfortunately might be on the other end of 'silicon lottery ' spectrum of 'normal', running quite a bit warmer than many if not most....