Question I7 8700 (non k) reaching 90 degrees celsius

Hankdp26

Reputable
May 27, 2019
Hello guys, as the title says im reaching this temps when playing AAA games like: COD MW, NFS Heat and Jedi Fallen Order. This does not happen however with non intensive games like DBX2 or ACIII remastered. I have a stock intel cooling, havent done anything to the BIOS and im sure the heatsink is correctly sitted. My rig is around 8 months old since it was assembled:

CPU: I7 8700
GPU: Aorus RTX 2060 super
Aorus gaming 3 Motherboard
16GB ram hyper x 2400mhz
650w bronze certified corsair PSU

I dont think the thermal paste might be a problem since the rig as stated is no more than 7-8 months old. Ive seen forums that state that these AAA games are very CPU intensive, but reaching 90 (even reached 100 playing NFS) is not normal. Please, any tips being BIOS settings and recommended course of action for this issue?

Thanks a million!

well, 90 degrees is quite high, but i wouldnt put it beyond belief, it is an intel stock cooler after all laugh track

i dont know if thats normal, but try reseeding it anyway. also, see if the thermal paste covers the entire chip.

aside from that, maybe undervolt it if you can (not sure if non k chips can be voltage adjusted.)

Hankdp26

Reputable
May 27, 2019
well, 90 degrees is quite high, but i wouldnt put it beyond belief, it is an intel stock cooler after all laugh track

i dont know if thats normal, but try reseeding it anyway. also, see if the thermal paste covers the entire chip.

aside from that, maybe undervolt it if you can (not sure if non k chips can be voltage adjusted.)

Hey man! ty so much for your response!

I was kind of expecting that it would have something to do with the stock cooler. Im stuck there as I am scared crapless of moving parts related to the cpu, as I am an ultra noob and barely can move the GPU and the RAM memory sticks lol.

Im so sorry for this, but what do you mean by reseeding?

Again ty so much!

if the cooler is removed, clean it's underside thoroughly, and the CPU's heat spreader thoroughly, and apply a thin layer of thermal compound, and, secure/lock down the cooler at all 4 corners. (As the cooler for an 8400 was considered marginal and allowed the CPU to heat to the point of throttling even in gaming loads, one would have to wonder if the cooler for the 8700 was nothing other than... the same cooler)

Hankdp26

Reputable
May 27, 2019
if the cooler is removed, clean it's underside thoroughly, and the CPU's heat spreader thoroughly, and apply a thin layer of thermal compound, and, secure/lock down the cooler at all 4 corners. (As the cooler for an 8400 was considered marginal and allowed the CPU to heat to the point of throttling even in gaming loads, one would have to wonder if the cooler for the 8700 was nothing other than... the same cooler)

Thanks man! Im going to look at tutorials on how to exactly change the stock cooler as, in my noobness, do not dare to actually move/unscrew anything other than the GPU and RAM sticks. But I am now almost certain that I have a low tolerance cooler for AAA games. Im going to clean it with dust off without removing anything, the trying to mess around with undervolt settings hopefully to get some C° off. If not, a new cooler is needed.

Hankdp26

Reputable
May 27, 2019
The stock cooler for the i7-8700 sucks to put it mildly. This is a common issue of the processor getting a bit too hot under gaming loads with it on the 8700. You should consider replacing it with something more stout.

Ty so much for the response! I going to go through tutorials on how to change the cooler the right way. Any suggestions of which cooler might I use? Does the motherboard matter in this instance in terms of compatibility?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

2plash6

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 23, 2019
Hey man! ty so much for your response!

I was kind of expecting that it would have something to do with the stock cooler. Im stuck there as I am scared crapless of moving parts related to the cpu, as I am an ultra noob and barely can move the GPU and the RAM memory sticks lol.

Im so sorry for this, but what do you mean by reseeding?

Again ty so much!
Was the Cpu at 100% full load?

Hankdp26

Reputable
May 27, 2019
Was the Cpu at 100% full load?
Im not really sure about the load, I am using CAM to monitor temps. With for example COD MW, the min is around 33-34 that im guessing is idle temp and then after literally 30 min or less in multiplayer I check back with CAM and I see the max temp reaching 90 to 92 and all 6 cores when I exit the game they immediately start to cool down. I still gotta check the loads. But fmi, what would be the difference regarding loads that I need to look after regarding possible issues.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Im not really sure about the load, I am using CAM to monitor temps. With for example COD MW, the min is around 33-34 that im guessing is idle temp and then after literally 30 min or less in multiplayer I check back with CAM and I see the max temp reaching 90 to 92 and all 6 cores when I exit the game they immediately start to cool down. I still gotta check the loads. But fmi, what would be the difference regarding loads that I need to look after regarding possible issues.

Hitting temps like that full load doesn't matter. if it wasn't full load it would mean your cooler isn't installed right. But Even if it was installed right this is a common issue with the 8700 and stock cooler.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
This might explain things a bit better,

That was 2 years ago, and some games have been released that are much more intensive than even what was used in the testing, so where you see temps on aftermarket coolers hitting 71°C (those coolers are a mite bit better than stock), you'll get a better idea of where the stock cooler sits in proportion and why you are seeing such high temps.

Regardless of any misgivings, you have 2 options. Upgrade the cooling to something considerably better and more able, or live with the temps.

Last edited:

Hankdp26

Reputable
May 27, 2019
This might explain things a bit better,

That was 2 years ago, and some games have been released that are much more intensive than even what was used in the testing, so where you see temps on aftermarket coolers hitting 71°C (those coolers are a mite bit better than stock), you'll get a better idea of where the stock cooler sits in proportion and why you are seeing such high temps.
This clears all up, it is def the stock cooler. Im gonna have to manually change it, hopefully not screwing anything up. Ty man!

Hankdp26

Reputable
May 27, 2019
Nice choice in cooler, just verify the dimensions of your case. You'll need to know the cpu cooler clearance height before making any decisions as some coolers are taller than others and may not fit.
You are completely right I will do so. On the other hand, I was watching a moment ago a video of the installation of that exact cooler on a Aorus motherboard, and by the looks of it, I need to completely disassemble in order for the motherboard to be free and stick a piece from the back that has the four screws, that seems super out of my league :S. Reference:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kT2d83iAF0

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
You are completely right I will do so. On the other hand, I was watching a moment ago a video of the installation of that exact cooler on a Aorus motherboard, and by the looks of it, I need to completely disassemble in order for the motherboard to be free and stick a piece from the back that has the four screws, that seems super out of my league :S. Reference:

Any good cooler is going to require that. Its REALLY not complicated. You can do it.

Also depending on your case you may be able to access the rear of the motherboard. What case do you have?

Hankdp26

Reputable
May 27, 2019
@Karadjgne @Rogue Leader guys im an idiot lol, actually yes the whole non side glass panel comes off! I thought that panel had the motherboard attached but no, I can see the motherboards underneath chipset with a whole lotta space, i already took measures and i believe the cooler will fit just fine! Hope I dont screw up at installation tho lol. Again guys, ty so much!

Reactions: Rogue Leader