Question i7-8700k Cooling Issues

Mar 2, 2019
Hi all,

I'm sure you hear about this every day, but I'm not sure where to go from here. I built a computer not too long ago and have noticed some annoying cooling issues. The case is a Corsair Carbide 275R. It has 2 fans, one in the front and one in the back, and a CoolerMaster ML240 AIO mounted in the top of the case. I'm aware that the 8700's typically run hot, but I don't think 90 degrees C is really what I want to be seeing while playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey. It usually tops out at 80 degrees while playing The Witcher 3, which isn't TOO bad, but I still think it could be better. I have a Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 with MCE disabled. Also, I have installed the chipset driver and graphics driver (of course). I don't think it's the case cooling, because my 1080 Ti never even reaches over 70 degrees playing games. But maybe the positioning of my AIO is the issue. I didn't touch the OC presets for my motherboard, just left it on normal. That's where those temps originated, so I tried putting it in performance mode to see if that would help, but to no avail. The coolest temp reported by HWMonitor right now was 34 degrees C. Also, one of the fans (haven't figured out which one) is loud as hell under load and probably isn't normal. I'm pretty sure the fans are in the right orientation, but I'm not entirely sure. When I hover my hand over the top of the case where the radiator is mounted, I can feel a little cool air. If you need any more information to try and help identify my problem, please let me know. I would eventually like to OC this bad boy, but in its current state, I don't think that's a safe idea. Thanks!

Edit: Voltages hover around 1.228 V and clock speed seems to max out around 4.2 GHz right now. The AIO fans run pretty high (2039 RPM) while playing AC.