[SOLVED] i7 8700K single core perfomance boost doesn't hit 4.7 GHz

Roshke

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015
Hi,

I have an i7 8700K at stock speeds, I didn't touch anything in the BIOS for the CPU except that I turned on XMP to make sure that my RAM runs at 3200 MHz.

The MB I have is a Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro WiFi.
Temps are always below 60c for the CPU.

I tried disabling Multicore Enhancement in the BIOS and forcing Intel Turbo Technology in the BIOS to "Enabled" but still no luck, on single threaded tests the CPU always gets stuck at 4.3 - 4.4 GHz and on multi-threaded is the same 4.3 GHz

I've also tried using High performance power plan on the motherboard and windows.

Here's a CPU-Z Benchmark, it bothers me that on the "reference" i7 8700k it says 550 while I get 470 max.
https://valid.x86.fr/xxgkdt

On Cinebench R15 highest I've got was 1400 and for single threaded 184

Solution

Roshke

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015

I've used CPU-Z (clock multiplier goes max x44 never x47), Taskmanager shows 4.29 - 4.33 ghz, HWMonitor reports max 4.4 GHz

Roshke

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015

If you could share all of your settings that would be amazing, I've tried to update to F7 BIOS but I've encountered very bad WiFi (2.4ghz N) performance, don't know why.

Can you also tell me do you have 12 pins connected to your motherboard or 8 for power? I have 8 because my PSU doesn't have the additional 4, but I've tried to overclock using EasyTune to 4.9GHz and that worked with temps below 75c

mgallo848

Commendable
In the meantime, try changing the "Power Options" to "High Performance" in Windows. Try using a program called "hwinfo" (download the installer or stand alone version).

It will show you what speed each core is running at also.

mgallo848

Commendable

I have the Z370 version of your board and I don't even have 12 pins the motherboard, only 8. I would try and find out what the additional 4 pins is for.

Edit: Nevermind. It look s like the additional 4 pin connector if for the newer i9 9900k

Roshke

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015

Max 4.4 GHz, I'm always on "High performance" and in the BIOS I've set it to "Performance"

Do your cores run all the time at 4.7 GHz or just turbo?

I'm running stock, everything "auto", I've seen multiple benchmarks on CPU-Z with a score of 450 - 480 for single threaded so it must be normal for stock and the 4.7GHz single core boost is just a marketing scheme from Intel that you can't really achieve without manually tuning. So I've installed Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and set all core Turbo to x47 (4.7 GHz) and it does boost to that frequency now on single and all cores, temps are at 62 - 64 c

but anyway I would still like to have your BIOS configuration.

mgallo848

Commendable
I keep mine at 4.7 all the time. I personally would rather run my setup at 4.7 - 4.8 all the time as opposed to 5.0 only when using "turbo" mode. There's less of a chance for any vdroop when the CPU goes from idle speeds to 5.0. I know you can eliminate it by changing the LLC but for me the 200mhz difference isn't worth it. (plus the temps run a little lower)

mgallo848

Commendable
Solution