Question i7 8750h, Boosting to maximum frequency on idle.

Nov 3, 2019
Hi I have a question.
My lenovo y530 with i7 8750h has all cores constantly running and boosting to 3,9-4,0 GHz, which generates quite a lot of heat.
I used throttlestop to undervolt the cpu by 150mV and allowed long power max to be 60 W. Also changed active trip points for fan in bios but that shouldn't affect cpu.

Is there a way to make the cpu not boost all the time? Changing power plan to balanced had no effect, even after restart.

I couldn't really find anything related to my problem.
Thank you.

Install Intel XTU, and lower the 2,3,4-8 core turbo (as applicable for your core count) to the desired clock speeds consistent with decent temps; sometimes even a 100 MHz reduction goes a long way when hovering near the top of clock speed with associated heat generation.

you'd also need to make sure that it is not boosting to some sort of activity occurring in the background, such as cloud syncing, pulling in WIndows updates, or....malware (crytpo-currency miners, etc) Gather some scrrenshots of task manager/processes (sorted from top usage to bottom, any potential culprits are normally in the top 3 or 4 processes shown)

Nov 3, 2019
Install Intel XTU, and lower the 2,3,4-8 core turbo (as applicable for your core count) to the desired clock speeds consistent with decent temps; sometimes even a 100 MHz reduction goes a long way when hovering near the top of clock speed with associated heat generation.

I thought about this solution and I can change these multipliers in throttlestop as well. But since I play a lot of csgo which is heavy cpu bound, I would have to change those numbers all the time and I wanna try other things first.

To your second response. Cpu usaully sits around 1-5% at 4 GHz.

Performance tab
Processes tab

No windows updates or cloud syncing running in the background.

Nov 3, 2019
One thing I just found out by turning it on in TS is that speedshift is for some reason set in registry/bios (who knows where) to really low number making the cpu run at highest possible clock at all time.