i7 920 Safe Temperatures

Zaney2522

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
My pc has been running unacceptably sluggish (It's actually having a hard time running minecraft on my GTX 260. Like, wtf?) and I thought that I might check my cpu temperatures. With youtube and a few other tabs open in my firefox and youtube open, I was running at about 60C. What is the best temperature for this cpu?

Solution

Umm no try to keep it under 75*c 80 would be the limit. I had a 950 running at 4.7Ghz 24/7 for 2.5 years sitting around the 70*c mark and now sits in the corner hosting 4 8800ultrs that i still play around with.

Intel states the max temp for the 920 is 100*c but i wouldnt try to come close to that.

Ryuk your thinking more of AMD not liking to go above 65*c

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Na 60c is fine, your 920 can handle much more than that before it begins to throttle, as with my oc 68c i don't have heat related slow downs, its probably something else.

I'd check running processes for cpu/memory resource hogs relating to background running applications in task manager and run a virus/malware scan just in case. Reinstall Windows may hint if its os orientated and not the hdd which could be another factor interfering with your computer's performance.

Umm no try to keep it under 75*c 80 would be the limit. I had a 950 running at 4.7Ghz 24/7 for 2.5 years sitting around the 70*c mark and now sits in the corner hosting 4 8800ultrs that i still play around with.

Intel states the max temp for the 920 is 100*c but i wouldnt try to come close to that.

Ryuk your thinking more of AMD not liking to go above 65*c

Solution

Zaney2522

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
Thank you all for your help! ;) Since my cpu isn't overheating, would you guys happen to know why my pc is running sluggish out of nowhere? It wouldn't start up the other day, so I did a fresh install of windows, and it's been just barely keeping up since then....

(If you want to read the whole story, I have a post on this. I hardly got any responses. 3: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3010523/crashing-simple-tasks-randomly.html)

Zaney2522

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

Thanks for your help. ;) If you dont mind, would you help me out with another problem? http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3010523/crashing-simple-tasks-randomly.html

Thanks. ;)

ryuk7533

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

I was looking at the intel page for this cpu and saw that the max case temp (Temp at the intergrated heat spreader) was rated for 67.8c

Zaney2522

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

I'll definitely check that. I already had my eye on that exact set of ram, since I only have 4 gbs atm.

TJ max is max temp of cores very low or very high is bad. when you hit the tj max your cpu will shut off before burning. If its to cold you will run into cold boot issues.

Tcase is the temp of the IHS above the cores the values are usually 20 degrees lower than when the cpu will throttle (it will not melt) so for example if your Tcase is 67.9 which it is for most Nehalem 87.9 is where the cpu may throttle (not every cpu is the same, even the same make). Above that temperature you are potentially limiting the life span i.e instead of 15 years it might be about 10 years depending on how hot it is.

If the temps were 100 degrees c all the time then there would be major problems.

Tcase is pretty useless as it can only be truly read by cutting a big groove into the heatspreader and using one of those laser thermometers to read it.

ryuk7533

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

Ahh okay. That's all the intel page had form what I saw. Anyway, the more you know.