[SOLVED] i7-9700 with PCIe 3.0 with rtx 3080ti pci 4.0

May 18, 2020
Hi everyone,
I am planning to upgrade my pc,most of it, I'm just keeping my cpu and hard drive, I have my eyes on the 3080ti, but as I've heard it will need a motherboard with pcie 4.0, that's fine for me, but then I saw that my cpu supports pci e 3.0. My question is that can a motherboard with pcie 3.0 work fine with the 3080ti that I've heard will have pci e 4.0 support, without any performance loss?, or will a motherboard with pci e 4.0 work fine with a cpu that supports pci e 3.0? Will getting a pci e 4.0 motherboard effect performance of any other components of the pc? Sorry if my question is not the best, I am relatively new to the pc world.

Thanks

Solution
PCIe is backwards compatible so a 4.0 device (3080Ti) will run in a 3.0 motherboard. From what I have seen it’s unlikely the 3080Ti is actually going to use the extra bandwidth of 4.0 so I am not expecting 4.0 to be needed to get its full potential but only benchmarks when it’s released are going to prove this one way or another.
PCIe is backwards compatible so a 4.0 device (3080Ti) will run in a 3.0 motherboard. From what I have seen it’s unlikely the 3080Ti is actually going to use the extra bandwidth of 4.0 so I am not expecting 4.0 to be needed to get its full potential but only benchmarks when it’s released are going to prove this one way or another.

Solution