[SOLVED] i7-9700k Stock Overheating

Nov 1, 2021
I recently bought a brand new i7-9700k to upgrade over my i5-8400. I originally had a Hyper 212 Black Edition air cooler, and while doing video conversion it utilizes 100% load on my CPU and hits 100deg c and begins to thermal throttle. This was confirmed by HWINFO. The power draw for the CPU is shown to be ~145watts so I decided to upgrade my Hyper 212 to a Mugen 5 Black. It is considerably larger and based on the information and forums online I thought it should be up to the task to handle stock speeds. However, when I replaced the 212 for the Mugen I still witnessed 100c temps and thermal throttling (except it took a bit longer to reach 100c than with the 212). I tried re-installing it with the same results . I also decided to perform smallFFTs to ensure that my video conversion software wasn't the culprit and doing something weird, but that resulted in almost instant 100c temps. As you can see from my specs, I have an h370 chipset so I don't even have the ability to overclock or even change much.

I've built a couple PCs, but I'm not an expert by any means. Is there something I'm missing? Are these temperatures to be expected from this setup? I thought the Mugen was a ~200watt cooler. Will I need to upgrade to liquid?

Here is a list of what I have tried:
Installed brand new Scythe Mugen 5 Black with MX-4 paste
Checked fan flow directions
Ran with side panel removed to ensure case temp build-up not an issue
Reinstalled Mugen cooler a second time.

PC Specs:
Intel i7-9700k with Scythe Mugen 5 black cooler
H370 Auros Gaming 3 wifi Mobo
GeForce GTX 1070
Crappy Dell 16gb (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Solution
Still high if you ask me.

It is possible the board has no options for voltage control, but it may also just be hidden under a few logical features. Might have to flip something to manual in order to reveal more options. Check the BIOS manual.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You can check the voltage being supplied to the CPU, it may be higher than it needs to be. 1.3 volts is where I would stop running it at stock. Maybe 1.35 volts. If it is reaching higher than that, a good sign that the stock motherboard settings are too aggressive.

Nov 1, 2021
Thanks for your quick reply. While running HWiNfo the only 'Vcore' voltage I could find was from my Mobo, and not on the CPU itself which doesn't seem reliable. This peaked at 1.524v which seems very high (but matched the requested max core VIDs). I also used Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility and it reported the maximum voltage to be 1.338v which seems to be a lot more reasonable.

Again, since I have an h370 chipset I believe a lot of the voltage control settings are locked and I don't have much control if they were high, unless there is a software solution?

At any rate, wouldn't the cooler be able to handle the reported 145watts using these set voltages?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Still high if you ask me.

It is possible the board has no options for voltage control, but it may also just be hidden under a few logical features. Might have to flip something to manual in order to reveal more options. Check the BIOS manual.

Solution