Question i7-9700KF Core Vid min/max/average

Lukhino

Reputable
Jul 8, 2020
Hi guys,
i have question about max voltage/CoreVids.
How high will the spikes be?I think the maximum values are immediately after running in the OCCT software.
What is important to watch? Maximmum in Core VIDs or Average on Core VIDs?

https://ibb.co/0h8nMf8

Depending on your motherboard, the best reading is VROUT which will show the real voltage and then your normal 'non' VID Voltage so standard vcore. VID is for what the CPU is requesting but vcore and VROUT is what you are actually getting...so a big difference. So long as vcore and VROUT are below 1.35v, I am happy as that is my own upper bound but for my own CPU my readings are as follows at 5.1GHz with a fixed vcore at 1.295v. This was after a CinebenchR20 run with temps also listed.
View: https://imgur.com/Bhh91JO

Lukhino

Reputable
Jul 8, 2020
Depending on your motherboard, the best reading is VROUT which will show the real voltage and then your normal 'non' VID Voltage so standard vcore. VID is for what the CPU is requesting but vcore and VROUT is what you are actually getting...so a big difference. So long as vcore and VROUT are below 1.35v, I am happy as that is my own upper bound but for my own CPU my readings are as follows at 5.1GHz with a fixed vcore at 1.295v. This was after a CinebenchR20 run with temps also listed.
View: https://imgur.com/Bhh91JO

Ty so much for information. Do you have standart version HWinfo?
Ok, i will watch VRout. CoreVid isn´t important to watch? Only VRout under 1.35 and temperature under 80 degree, right?

Yes, getting the vcore as low as possible for a stable overclock is key as that will also keep temps in check. I am using the latest version now of HWinfo. Use Prime95 blend to test especially if this is a gaming rig and CinebenchR20 to test stability and temps.

Also keep in mind that you will need to use LLC to stop any vdroop so I always start with a middle LLC setting. Initially I went with 'High' on LLC but then needed a 'Turbo' LLC...

Ty so much for information. Do you have standart version HWinfo?
Ok, i will watch VRout. CoreVid isn´t important to watch? Only VRout under 1.35 and temperature under 80 degree, tright?

Lukhino

Reputable
Jul 8, 2020
Yes, getting the vcore as low as possible for a stable overclock is key as that will also keep temps in check. I am using the latest version now of HWinfo. Use Prime95 blend to test especially if this is a gaming rig and CinebenchR20 to test stability and temps.

Also keep in mind that you will need to use LLC to stop any vdroop so I always start with a middle LLC setting. Initially I went with 'High' on LLC but then needed a 'Turbo' LLC...

i have this motherboard GIgabyte Z370-HD3P. When i want to push my CPU to 4.9/5.0Ghz,
What I have to do?

CPU Clock Ratio5,0 Ghz
CPU Base ClockAuto
CPU Vcore(bios)1.30
Uncore RatioAuto
LLCHigh
XMP3200Mhz
TestOCCT or Prime95

I will watch Temperatures on the Cores (under 80degree ) and VRout (under 1.35V)
Is it Ok?

I saw lot of guide where were these parameters dsiabled
Enhanced Multicore Performance - Disabled
Intel Turbo boost Technology - disabled
Intel Speed shift technology - disabled
CPU enhanced halt(C1E)- disabled
C3 state support - dsiabled
C6/C7 state support - disabled
C8 state support - disabled
C10 state support - disabled
Package C state limit-C0/C1
Ring to core offset (down bin) - dsiabled
CPU EIST Function - disabled
Race to halt (RTH)-disabled
Energy Efficient Turbo-disabled
Voltage optimization -disabled
Vt-d - disabled

Is a important to disable these parameters when i want to push into higher frequncies?

Last edited:
Yes that is good and as to the other settings, they will help for stability when pushing very high. I prefer to leave those on because the CPU will then automatically drop it's speed when there is no load which I prefer.

i have this motherboard GIgabyte Z370-HD3P. When i want to push my CPU to 4.9/5.0Ghz, What i want to do?

CPU Clock Ratio5,0 Ghz
CPU Base ClockAuto
CPU Vcore(bios)1.30
Uncore RatioAuto
LLCHigh
XMP3200Mhz
TestOCCT or Prime95

Ii will watch Temperatures on the Cores (under 80degree ) and VRout (under 1.35V)
Is it Ok?

I saw lot of guide when were these parameters dsiabled
Enhanced Multicore Performance - Disabled
Intel Turbo boost Technology - disabled
Intel Speed shift technology - disabled
CPU enhanced halt(C1E)- disabled
C3 state support - dsiabled
C6/C7 state support - disabled
C8 state support - disabled
C10 state support - disabled
Package C state limit-C0/C1
Ring to core offset (down bin) - dsiabled
CPU EIST Function - disabled
Race to halt (RTH)-disabled
Energy Efficient Turbo-disabled
Voltage optimization -disabled

Is a important to disable these parameters when i want to push into higher frequncies?

Lukhino

Reputable
Jul 8, 2020
Yes that is good and as to the other settings, they will help for stability when pushing very high. I prefer to leave those on because the CPU will then automatically drop it's speed when there is no load which I prefer.

Ok and i saw this.

Vcore is the value reported by the motherboard natively, and is kind of the "old" way of measuring voltage to the CPU. This measures power output at the VRM, and does not take into account power loss from the resistance in between the VRM and the CPU (basically the loss traveling through the copper in the motherboard).

VR VOUT is a relatively new design that ASUS (I think) pioneered with recent Rampage B350/B450 and have now made it into a few different Z390 boards including yours and the Maximus XI boards (which is why people think there is a hidden 100mv offset, when really it is just using the new sensor).

The way this new sensor works is by bridging the power input pin on the CPU socket to ground and measuring the voltage in between. Since it measures so closely to the CPU pins, this gives a more accurate representation of actual voltage supplied to the CPU, as there is little to no resistance between what the sensor sees and what the CPU receives.

VOUT is the accurate reading, but not every board has it, so its very difficult to compare voltage numbers across platforms.

But i have Z370 motherboard i dont know if i can watch VRout...
if i dont have VRout, should i watch only Vcore (parametr under VRM MOS) in HWinfo?

How well you can oc a 9700K is determined by your luck in getting a good chip.
As of 2/6/2019
stats from silicon lottery
What percent can get an overclock at a somewhat sane Vcore in the 1.337 to 1.375 range.
And AVX offset = 2.

I7-9700K

5.2 10%
5.1 35%
5.0 78%
4.9 100%

You are right to be careful about voltage.
Keep it under control.
Voltage is what drives up temperature.
Keep temperatures under control.
If you care about cpu longevity, do not chase that last multiplier bump.

My sense is that you are too high.
I see 1.48 max vid.

I also see clocks consistent near 5.0.
If you implement adaptive voltage and speedstep, your multiplier and vcore will drop when there is little to do.
That, I think, would be a good thing.

I do not see any temperature history.

Lukhino

Reputable
Jul 8, 2020
My sense is that you are too high.
I see 1.48 max vid.

I also see clocks consistent near 5.0.
If you implement adaptive voltage and speedstep, your multiplier and vcore will drop when there is little to do.
That, I think, would be a good thing.

I do not see any temperature history.

I dont know what i need to do...:-D Where is adaptive voltage and speedstep?
Why i need to get less voltage in CPU Vid max? This is only value what processor want, but i set 1.30V and Vcore on motherboard is in HWInfo: Min:1.272V/Max:1.380/Average:1.348V.

VID
is linked to clock speed. It's what the CPU is designed to request at a given speed, it has nothing to do with actual voltage unless you have everything power related set to auto in your BIOS.

Here are temperatures
https://ibb.co/s5jcnHs

Last edited:
Motherboard makers have different names for settings.
Best to go to a gigabyte overclocking forum and do some research.
In the interim, lower your attempted oc a couple of notches.
My approach is simple.
Reset all to auto.
Then gradually increase the all core multiplier and test.
When you reach your limit, back off at least one multiplier.
You limit should be 1.35 vcore as measured by cpu-Z
and no more than 85c. during a stress test as measured by HWmonitor.

You may not get the absolute maximum your chip is capable of, but it will be decent and safe enough.
Not all chips are capable of 5.0. you may be unlucky enough to get a dog.

Lukhino

Reputable
Jul 8, 2020
Motherboard makers have different names for settings.
Best to go to a gigabyte overclocking forum and do some research.
In the interim, lower your attempted oc a couple of notches.
My approach is simple.
Reset all to auto.
Then gradually increase the all core multiplier and test.
When you reach your limit, back off at least one multiplier.
You limit should be 1.35 vcore as measured by cpu-Z
and no more than 85c. during a stress test as measured by HWmonitor.

You may not get the absolute maximum your chip is capable of, but it will be decent and safe enough.
Not all chips are capable of 5.0. you may be unlucky enough to get a dog.

Why i need to get less voltage in CPU Vid max? This is only value what processor want, but i set 1.30V and Vcore on motherboard is in HWInfo: Min:1.272V/Max:1.380/Average:1.348V.

VID
is linked to clock speed. It's what the CPU is designed to request at a given speed, it has nothing to do with actual voltage unless you have everything power related set to auto in your BIOS.

Here is my next setup with 4,8Ghz, i change only 50 to 48. Here are the same big max.CoreVid,,,

https://ibb.co/3cVzyzG

Last edited: