Question I7 9700kf hitting 80+ degrees and the bsod

painessoupei

Reputable
Oct 25, 2020
I overclocked my i7 9700kf to 5ghz( using the 5ghz profile on bios(z390a)) and whenever the cpu is at 100%, it would very quickly rise to 80 degrees and after a couple of seconda a bsod comes up with clock_ watchdog_timeout error code

The cooling i use is nzxt x63

The bsod only comes up when overheating, i have been able to avoid it lowering the max cpu utilization to 96% in power options but i noticed its not running at 5ghz

Is there a way to increase the max cpu temperature or is this some other fault?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Don't use the BIOS profile would be my advice. Every CPU is a little different, so you want to actually configure the BIOS settings to fit your exact CPU, not a general application of an overclock. That will almost certainly have too much voltage to make an attempt at stability with the majority of CPUs. Downside would be excess heat.

5Ghz isn't exactly a stretch for a 9700kf, already boosts to 4.9Ghz single core.

Multi Core Enhancement and small core voltage increase, maybe a little load line calibration should be all it takes to et 5Ghz all core. As always monitor temperatures and voltages under different circumstances to make sure it isn't getting too out of hand.

1.35 volts is about the safe max core voltage for daily use.

https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/8481/coffee-lake-overclocking-guide/index.html