i730 & Microsoft Streets & Trips

Hi Group!

Can anyone tell me how to configure Microsoft Street & Trips (S&T) software
to accept a GPS connected to the USB port?

I was able to successfully run S&T using the i730 connected to the COM1
port. But I couldn't find a way to configure S&T for a USB GPS. Any ideas?

Thanks

Please note: The map software running on your laptop or other device must
support NMEA 3.0. The GPS feature is designed to operate with a laptop
computer or similar device that is running interactive map software such as
that made by DeLorme or Microsoft.

You can purchase a Motorola serial cable (USB is currently unsupported for
GPS applications) from Motorola parts group at 1-800-422-4210 or online at
www.idenstore.com or through your local service provider sales location.

http://idenphonescontactus.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/idenphonescontactus.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=MkiIpZ4h&p_lva=2498&p_faqid=2963&p_created=1062178229&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTI3JnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9Y29ubmVjdCB0byBjYWJsZSZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT0xMyZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPX5hbnl_JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

"Citrus" <pcarres@att.net> wrote in message
> Hi Group!
>
> Can anyone tell me how to configure Microsoft Street & Trips (S&T)
software
> to accept a GPS connected to the USB port?
>
> I was able to successfully run S&T using the i730 connected to the COM1
> port. But I couldn't find a way to configure S&T for a USB GPS. Any
ideas?

> Thanks

Offri, thanks for the info.

Since there are few laptops in the market that still have COM ports, I've
heard that some GPS manufacturers offer drivers to emulate a virtual COM
port using a USB connection. Does anyone know if either Motorola or Nextel
has such a driver for the i730?

Thanks again.

"Offri" <offri@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Please note: The map software running on your laptop or other device must
> support NMEA 3.0. The GPS feature is designed to operate with a laptop
> computer or similar device that is running interactive map software such
as
> that made by DeLorme or Microsoft.
>
> You can purchase a Motorola serial cable (USB is currently unsupported for
> GPS applications) from Motorola parts group at 1-800-422-4210 or online at
> www.idenstore.com or through your local service provider sales location.

http://idenphonescontactus.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/idenphonescontactus.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=MkiIpZ4h&p_lva=2498&p_faqid=2963&p_created=1062178229&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTI3JnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9Y29ubmVjdCB0byBjYWJsZSZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT0xMyZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPX5hbnl_JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

> "Citrus" <pcarres@att.net> wrote in message
> > Hi Group!
> >
> > Can anyone tell me how to configure Microsoft Street & Trips (S&T)
> software
> > to accept a GPS connected to the USB port?
> >
> > I was able to successfully run S&T using the i730 connected to the COM1
> > port. But I couldn't find a way to configure S&T for a USB GPS. Any
> ideas?
> >
> > Thanks

For about 10$ on ebay you can buy a USB to SERIAL adapter cable
I can tell you from my own experience that it works perfectly!
for example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3668&item=3475910683&rd=1