Question I9-13900K Throttle itself to 3Ghz despite good Temps.

Jul 8, 2023
Hey i have a Problem and i cant fix it. Please Help.

So, when i start my pc the CPU sits around 5-5,5 Ghz as it should. it stays there for most Games too, however if i run Fortnite, Rocket League or Cyberpunk and probably many other Games the CPU goes down to 3-3,5 Ghz and wont even go back up AFTER closing the Game. Temperatures are fine, Wont go above 90 in Cinebench.

I also noticed the Screen is dimming itself a bit befor launching the Game and start Throttling.

sry english is not my main Language!

Things i Tried:

Tried Unchecking BD PROCHOT in Throttle stop but it wont let me.
Swapping to a brand new 13900K ( yes actually did that)
Setting Game mode in Bios
Power Plan Settings
Overclocking (Still Throtte)

PC specs:
CPU:   Intel i9-13900K
GPU:   24GB Palit RTX4090 GameRock
MBO:      MSI MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI DDR5
Cooling:  Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm | 6x Corsair LL Series LL120 RGB
Power:   1000W Corsair RM1000x
RAM:   32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 6000Mhz
SSD:   2TB Kingston Fury Renegade M.2 PCIe 4.0

Last edited by a moderator:
Turn on the Log File option on the main ThrottleStop screen. Go play a game so ThrottleStop can record your CPU performance and any reasons for throttling. When finished testing, copy and paste your log file data to,

www.pastebin.com

Upload some images to www.imgur.com or a similar site. Include the main window, the FIVR and TPL windows so I can see your settings.

BD PROCHOT
Most manufacturers have decided to lock the BD PROCHOT setting for 12th and 13th Gen computers. This is a real problem for any computer with BD PROCHOT throttling problems. I do not think this is your problem so you do not have to worry about this limitation.

Do you know what your turbo power limits are set to in the BIOS? If these are set too low, your CPU will not have enough power to run at maximum speed. The TPL window should show what values your CPU is presently using.

Have a look at the Limit Reasons window when your CPU is throttling. Perhaps you will see a box lighting up red to indicate throttling.

Jul 8, 2023
Turn on the Log File option on the main ThrottleStop screen. Go play a game so ThrottleStop can record your CPU performance and any reasons for throttling. When finished testing, copy and paste your log file data to,

www.pastebin.com

Upload some images to www.imgur.com or a similar site. Include the main window, the FIVR and TPL windows so I can see your settings.

Most manufacturers have decided to lock the BD PROCHOT setting for 12th and 13th Gen computers. This is a real problem for any computer with BD PROCHOT throttling problems. I do not think this is your problem so you do not have to worry about this limitation.

Do you know what your turbo power limits are set to in the BIOS? If these are set too low, your CPU will not have enough power to run at maximum speed. The TPL window should show what values your CPU is presently using.

Have a look at the Limit Reasons window when your CPU is throttling. Perhaps you will see a box lighting up red to indicate throttling.
soo.. as of Today i just started my pc let it do its thing for like 10 minutes, started the Games in Question and then wow. It just not Throttling anymore i dont understand anything at this point :D.

Jul 8, 2023
soo.. as of Today i just started my pc let it do its thing for like 10 minutes, started the Games in Question and then wow. It just not Throttling anymore i dont understand anything at this point :D.
however in cinebench its still throttling to 5,2 Ghz but going back up after im gonne post the Logfile.

Jul 8, 2023
View: https://imgur.com/eLxoDpw

View: https://imgur.com/hxFRKRN

View: https://imgur.com/bRGPVbp

It just not Throttling anymore
Was this before you ran ThrottleStop or after? It is possible that ThrottleStop might have changed some CPU setting that was not setup correctly by the BIOS.

The 13900K and 13900KF are ovens. Setting the PL1 and PL2 turbo power limits to 288W will cause power limit throttling during full load stress tests like Cinebench. That is what the log file shows.

Many users set both turbo power limits to the max, 4095W so they can avoid any power limit throttling. This will probably cause your CPU to reach 100°C so instead of power limit throttling, your CPU will thermal throttle instead.

I would try reducing the CPU voltage. An offset undervolt of -50 mV might be enough to keep your CPU running at full speed during Cinebench without needing to power limit or thermal throttle. If playing games is more important than running Cinebench then you can leave things as is. Game CPU performance should be great.

Be careful if you are running any MSI software. I have seen some situations where the CPU power limits get set to 0. This can cause massive power limit throttling. Maybe that is why you were originally having problems

Jul 8, 2023
Was this before you ran ThrottleStop or after? It is possible that ThrottleStop might have changed some CPU setting that was not setup correctly by the BIOS.

The 13900K and 13900KF are ovens. Setting the PL1 and PL2 turbo power limits to 288W will cause power limit throttling during full load stress tests like Cinebench. That is what the log file shows.

Many users set both turbo power limits to the max, 4095W so they can avoid any power limit throttling. This will probably cause your CPU to reach 100°C so instead of power limit throttling, your CPU will thermal throttle instead.

I would try reducing the CPU voltage. An offset undervolt of -50 mV might be enough to keep your CPU running at full speed during Cinebench without needing to power limit or thermal throttle. If playing games is more important than running Cinebench then you can leave things as is. Game CPU performance should be great.

Be careful if you are running any MSI software. I have seen some situations where the CPU power limits get set to 0. This can cause massive power limit throttling. Maybe that is why you were originally having problt
so, throttlestop was was on the whole time.

The power limits was originally set to 4096, tho i changed it becouse it got to an instant 100c as soon as i run cinebench. is it not a problem if it stays at a 100c?

it is in fact just for games i just want the cpu to stay in its boost clock.

i have in fact MSI Center on all the time should i disable it?

Let's go back to the original problem.

the CPU goes down to 3-3,5 Ghz and wont even go back up AFTER closing the Game.
Something is not right. A computer that is working properly should not be doing this. Other users have reported similar problems. The one thing they all have in common is they are running MSI software. Try completely uninstalling any MSI software and see if your original problem goes away.

ThrottleStop was on the whole time
The purpose of ThrottleStop is to stop any throttling problems. It was likely able to fix the throttling problem that you were having. Reboot and do not run ThrottleStop. Uninstall the MSI software, reboot again and see if you still have a throttling problem.

You should not need to run ThrottleStop. Your CPU should be able to run at full speed while playing games and after playing games without having to run ThrottleStop to fix any problems.

TRENDING THREADS