Question i9-9900k running very hot at stock settings ?

May 1, 2022
I have been trying to fix this on my own and cannot seem to get this figured out. No matter what I try, my i9 will crank up 90-100c under 40% load. Certain games will spike it to 90, while others get it up to 80. When trying any testing it reaches 100c easily. I've tried many different solutions and I cannot figure this out. (for example, Arma 3 will cause it to reach 90-100c even when trying to offload to the GPU)

Idle temps range from 40 to 50c (high 30's when it's cold inside my house), and simply having two tabs on chrome open take it to 65c or even higher. (even with only 5% load on the CPU)

Any help here would be appreciated.

BIOS settings are all stock with MCE disabled and no XMP (with MCE and XMP it will spike up even faster)
I tried to change the core settings as I thought the voltage was too high (HWinfo reads out 1.49 vcore) at peaks. At any manual vcore setting under 1.4 my computer will not boot.

I am not super experienced with BIOS settings so I have not tinkered with too many. I have changed the fan curves to run faster at lower temps to try to counteract the temps but even this does not help (maybe 1-2c max)

Windows Power mode is set to balanced.

Setup:
CPU - i9-9900k
GPU - msi gaming x trio 3070 8gb
Mobo - Aorus Z390 pro wifi
RAM - Vengeance LPX 32gb (2x16) 3200mhz
AIO - MSI Mag Coreliqud 360r
Case: Lian Li LanCool II (with mesh front and side panel)
Airflow
Intake: 3 Noctua NF12 industrial PPC 2000 RPMs intake through the radiator; Stock Lian Li Case fan under GPU intake
Exhaust: Noctua NF-A12 exhaust at the back, two of the 3 fans that came with the MSI AIO exhaust top.

An2f5OL.jpg

May 1, 2022
I have been trying to fix this on my own and cannot seem to get this figured out. No matter what I try, my i9 will crank up 90-100c under 40% load. Certain games will spike it to 90, while others get it up to 80. When trying any testing it reaches 100c easily. I've tried many different solutions and I cannot figure this out. (for example, Arma 3 will cause it to reach 90-100c even when trying to offload to the GPU)

Idle temps range from 40 to 50c (high 30's when it's cold inside my house), and simply having two tabs on chrome open take it to 65c or even higher. (even with only 5% load on the CPU)

BIOS settings are all stock with MCE disabled and no XMP (with MCE and XMP it will spike up even faster)
I tried to change the core settings as I thought the voltage was too high (HWinfo reads out 1.49 vcore) at peaks. At any manual vcore setting under 1.4 my computer will not boot.

I am not super experienced with BIOS settings so I have not tinkered with too many. I have changed the fan curves to run faster at lower temps to try to counteract the temps but even this does not help (maybe 1-2c max)

Setup:
CPU - i9-9900k
Airflow
Intake: 3 Noctua NF12 industrial PPC 2000 RPMs intake through the radiator; Stock Lian Li Case fan under GPU intake
Exhaust: Noctua NF-A12 exhaust at the back, two of the 3 fans that came with the MSI AIO exhaust top

May 1, 2022
Go figure... you're like the 5-6th person who's told me this when I've pointed them towards that.
What a load of crap from Msi. You're going to have to replace that cooler...

Honestly, that's what I've been thinking. I've tried so many different suggestions from people with the same issue to no avail. I was hoping there was something I could do without needing to but oh well.

Is there any way the voltages could be affecting this as well? I tried setting it manually and it wouldn't boot. I have it on auto now and it will max out at around 1.48v under load and drop to 0.835v under no load.

In regards to the AIO, I have been looking at either the Artic Liquid Freezer II or the Lian Li Galahad, both seem to be pretty solid options.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Is there any way the voltages could be affecting this as well? I tried setting it manually and it wouldn't boot. I have it on auto now and it will max out at around 1.48v under load and drop to 0.835v under no load.
Motherboards apply more Vcore than necessary, but that's done to a fault, since silicon lottery can't be predicted.
Instead of manual Vcore, try Offset mode with a -0.05v offset. You may even be able to take it further.

I would suggest getting an air cooler if you already don't have one, because it would be a good idea to have something to lean on the next time an AIO pump fails or shows signs of trouble. Get another AIO at a later time.
I've not heard anything bad about either of those AIOs though.

shemsureshot

Distinguished
May 26, 2013
I had a similar issue a while back with probably the same CPU. It was because I didn’t screw in the cooler to the CPU socket in the right order. I did them in this order: the top left screw first, then the bottom right screw, bottom left then top right. That fixed my issue.

Temps are higher than they should be for sure. Even when enabling XMP the temps should be better and much better with MCE disabled. I can only think that your AIO needs to be looked at in that try re-installing with new thermal paste and sometimes bubbles can accumulate at the top especially in that configuration though I have the same case and a 360mm AIO in the same orientation. But worth removing, cleaning and then re-install paste. I am sure you have blown and cleaned out the radiator for dust.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Setup:
CPU - i9-9900k
Airflow
Exhaust: Noctua NF-A12 exhaust at the back, two of the 3 fans that came with the MSI AIO exhaust top.

An2f5OL.jpg
I would say bad cooler it has a recall but has more problems than just the one listed.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/m...40r-360r-aio-coolers-due-to-sediment-build-up

It looks like all the fans in your case are blowing out?

May 1, 2022
Is this a problem that has recently occurred or is it something you have been dealing with for a while?

It's something I have been dealing with incrementally.

The problem was much worse before, but I changed my airflow and upgraded my fans which made it what it's at now.

Just ordered some new Thermal Paste will try to reseat the cooler and see if that helps. If it doesn't I think it will be time to change the AIO.

May 1, 2022
Temps are higher than they should be for sure. Even when enabling XMP the temps should be better and much better with MCE disabled. I can only think that your AIO needs to be looked at in that try re-installing with new thermal paste and sometimes bubbles can accumulate at the top especially in that configuration though I have the same case and a 360mm AIO in the same orientation. But worth removing, cleaning and then re-install paste. I am sure you have blown and cleaned out the radiator for dust.

Yep that's exactly the plan.

I used the paste that came with the cooler because I didn't really know better. I ordered some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and will try to reseat it.

If not, I think I am going to swap out the AIO. Likely the Lian Li Galahad

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Yep that's exactly the plan.

I used the paste that came with the cooler because I didn't really know better. I ordered some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and will try to reseat it.

If not, I think I am going to swap out the AIO. Likely the Lian Li Galahad
fix that GPU sag too, wouldn't want to damage the GPU or the motherboard

May 1, 2022
Motherboards apply more Vcore than necessary, but that's done to a fault, since silicon lottery can't be predicted.
Instead of manual Vcore, try Offset mode with a -0.05v offset. You may even be able to take it further.

I would suggest getting an air cooler if you already don't have one, because it would be a good idea to have something to lean on the next time an AIO pump fails or shows signs of trouble. Get another AIO at a later time.
I've not heard anything bad about either of those AIOs though.

Just to show the extent of this, under 5% load in at ~75c on all cores. Fans running at max, Pump running at 100%. This is even with the -0.05v offset and Vcore set to normal (1.2v). (applied in BIOS, DVID I believe? )

w8je9pL.png

Vibration or not, I'd say the pump is either shot, or fouled and degraded due to clogged internal microfins. If the input hose to the radiator is not even warm, then there is quite little fluid making it there, thus precious little 'cooled' fluid being pumped inside the pumps copper plate that contacts the heat spreader...

(Many pumps die or degrade like this after 2-3 years....)