[SOLVED] i9 9900k speed question

Gypooo

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
Hello.... so i recently bought a new pc with a z390 aorus ultra + i9 9900k , without long talk my concern is that from what i know 9900k turbo boosts to 5ghz with its stock speed without any oc'ing but from what i see from Task Manager/MSI afterburner while gaming is that it is 4.7 / 4.8 max didnt exceed so am i just unlucky with the silicon lottery or these kind of monitoring doesnt show up the 5ghz reading but am actually getting them.

PS : the games i tested so far are Witcher 3 - Heroes Of The Storm - Overwatch

Solution
Turbo will only do 5GHz on 1 core, if using 2-3 it's 4.9GHz, 4-6 4.8GHz, 7-8 4.7GHz. Intel lowers turbo to lower heat on cpu and VRM's under higher stress. You'd need to manually OC and lock all cores at max turbo, or enable MCE to get 5GHz on more than 1 core.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Turbo will only do 5GHz on 1 core, if using 2-3 it's 4.9GHz, 4-6 4.8GHz, 7-8 4.7GHz. Intel lowers turbo to lower heat on cpu and VRM's under higher stress. You'd need to manually OC and lock all cores at max turbo, or enable MCE to get 5GHz on more than 1 core.

Solution

Gypooo

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
i see ...... so from this i would understand that there is always 1 core that is turbo to 5 ghz while playing and the rest are 4.6 .7 .8 etc ?

also on a side not my cooler is a Cryorig R1 Ultimate :)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
These days 5GHz on 1 core is misleading because most of the stuff you'll do is multi core. Unless you overclock to force 5 all cores, you won't see it otherwise. Difference is all in the head, practically, wont notice any different leaving your cpu the way it is.

You have bought one of if not the best gaming CPU and it is a K unlocked CPU so I would try to get the best out of it and with good cooling you can happily achieve an all core 4.8GHz to 4.9GHz without too much trouble and with really good cooling like a 280mm AIO or 360mm AIO it will get you to 5GHz and on the gaming front the temps will not be an issue. With a bit of tweaking you can get it on a good low vcore which will help cooling as the auto settings are just crud and push a bit to much voltage...

Just something you might try in the future.