breed33

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have an IBM 60GB ATA 100 drive and in Windows 2000 I want to have it setup as DMA. The IDE controller is set to DMA if available, but it only uses PIO mode. Is there a way to force it to DMA? Either in the BIOS or in Win2K?

Any help would be great.

Brian

PS It works on DMA in Windows 98 no problem

mpjesse

Splendid
You have to have DMA drivers for Windows 2000... yes windows 2000 is plug and play- but not like 98 and Me. Unlike 98 and Me, you have to install specialized busmastering drivers/software for 2000/NT. You should be able to find them on the net.

-MP Jesse

PS, do you mean it uses PIO in the BIOS or Windows?

G

Go to
http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/storagedrivers/ultraATA/

You'll get the point once you're there ... :)

breed33

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Here's the thing though in my system. I have two IBM drives. One is a 13.1GB ATA 66 drive and the other is a 60GB ATA100 drive. They both are on the same 80 pin cable. The 60GB drive is the main drive (which is partitioned into a couple of drives) and in the primary IDE settings it says that DMA is enabled, but it is opting for PIO mode.

I installed the ATA drive from the CD that came with the motherboard (Asus CUSL2). So I think I already have the driver installed that is linked to from Olegis's post.

In the bios I am not sure how to change or update this stuff. For my 60GB drive is says it is using UIDMA 2 and 5 and for the other drive it is using UDMA 3.

Thanks for the help.