IBM Files Application to Patent The Patent Process

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidTJorge

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
This system is crazy... soon there will patents for soup, or how to open a door... common sense is out of the Patent Office minds it seems.
The real scary part is how do you know you're not infringing some patent? If I invent a new beer can opener will I violate the patent to use levers? Or the patent to use my fingers in a twisting motion? Or use of my eyes to operate tools in my hands?

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
[citation][nom]Davidtjorge[/nom]This system is crazy... soon there will patents for soup, or how to open a door... common sense is out of the Patent Office minds it seems.The real scary part is how do you know you're not infringing some patent? If I invent a new beer can opener will I violate the patent to use levers? Or the patent to use my fingers in a twisting motion? Or use of my eyes to operate tools in my hands?[/citation]

1. There are patents for soup don't worry.
2. There are patents that describe the way a door could be opened ranging from obvious logic to super high tech doors.
3. You don't know, you need to do research or hire some one to do it for you and while a new patent costs you a fortune to register the research costs even more.

If you want to actually create your invention you need to do it offshore in any western country that doesn't have your invention patented or those that recognize male cow dump patents. If your product is selling well enough you can pay the license fee and start shipping it to the us or you could let a 3th party import it and circumvent patents that way. This is how to live with patents in a nutshell and not an easy solution.

malikxaxu

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
All of this hype makes no sense.

We have NO IDEA of the Patent application CLAIMS. Again, for the 1,000,000,000,000,000,000th time... it is the claims which define the monopoly of the patent; NOT the title of the application, not the description part, not the drawings...

Here, the so-called "journalist," does not inform us as to the claims on record nor does he give us the application number so that we may check for ouselves. This is NOT journalism...

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
IBM is filing this for three reasons: 1) to highlight the ineffectiveness of the US patent system, 2) to protect themselves against such a spurious patent being filed successfully by someone else, and 3) to provide themselves with ammunition against any and all future spurious patent claims by patent trolls. "Oh, you claim we violated your patent by developing high-K transistors? Then, I suppose we should inform you of your violation of OUR patent to file patents and sit on them. Since all of your revenues are generated by that process, all your base are belong to us."

IBM also patented the patent-troll process and business model, again for similar reasons.

jaybus

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
You know...the PTO is also granting patents for biologics, such as particular proteins, somatic cells, gene sequences. I want to patent the process of a muscle operated diaphragm for the purpose of drawing air into the lungs. Everyone who breathes must pay me royalties, unless they choose not to breathe.

malikxaxu

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]cyborg28[/nom]Prior Art. 'nuff said.[/citation]

only applicable if we know scope of claims... since we have no idea of what the claims say; no one can say PRIOR ART as if it was a magical statement against patentability... 'nuff said.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
IBM and Microsoft are probably the worst patent trolls I have ever seen. They make so many patents but only use them for retribution or to get companies to do stuff. They know nothing about how to make millions on suing for stupid shit. I mean IBM is such a bad troll, they let anyone use their patents as long as you let everyone in IBM's network openly use your patents. What is up with that?

jee_are

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Hopefully this is an attempt by IBM to satirize and bring more attention to the currently laughable patent process.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]IBM and Microsoft are probably the worst patent trolls I have ever seen. They make so many patents but only use them for retribution or to get companies to do stuff. They know nothing about how to make millions on suing for stupid shit. I mean IBM is such a bad troll, they let anyone use their patents as long as you let everyone in IBM's network openly use your patents. What is up with that?[/citation]
So IBM is bad cause they let other companies use their innovations in return for using that companies innovations? Seems fair to me really, unless you suggest IBM just let others use their tech for free (which BTW IBM and Microsoft do allow on a lot of things), both those companies hold so many patents they could easily sink most of the industry from patent suits alone. Yet they allow free use on many of them and just let it go and only ask for licensing fees on the very important ones.
Those 2 companies you mention are very lenient with their patents when you consider how much they could be suing and destroying companies for no reason other then to be spiteful yet they don't.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]So IBM is bad cause they let other companies use their innovations in return for using that companies innovations? Seems fair to me really, unless you suggest IBM just let others use their tech for free (which BTW IBM and Microsoft do allow on a lot of things), both those companies hold so many patents they could easily sink most of the industry from patent suits alone. Yet they allow free use on many of them and just let it go and only ask for licensing fees on the very important ones.Those 2 companies you mention are very lenient with their patents when you consider how much they could be suing and destroying companies for no reason other then to be spiteful yet they don't.[/citation]
This is why they are terrible patent trolls. They are not trolling.

G

This article is terribly edited for grammar and clarity. Rare for this site.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]This is why they are terrible patent trolls. They are not trolling.[/citation]
No they are not trolls, they actual do it right they protect their IP but allow others to use it (free for the most part) to progress technology as a whole, they license out important and needed tech to others and only throw their weight around when some big company decides they will try and use their tech without permission. They are not like Apple who will use the patents to try and shut down any competitors who get in their way (going for HTC when they couldn't stop Google directly).

G

IBM is getting ready to topple VMware and Microsoft's strong hold on virtualization and cloud. This new partnership will definitely start the wheels for them. Here is more about the partnership: http://cloudtechsite.com/blogp...

Status
Not open for further replies.