jameshunt614

Prominent
Oct 20, 2018
So I am wanting to buy a ThinkPad T60 because they are one of the only 4 x 3 laptops with decent specs, a good screen and an excellent keyboard. I want to use it for Internet browsing, office and some gaming where possible.

I’ve been looking on eBay and I’ve seen some high end models of the T60 with a 15 inch 1400x1050 screen, a Core 2 Duo processor, 3 GB of RAM, a solid state drive and dedicated ATI Radeon X 1300/X 1400 graphics. I’ve also seen some T60p laptops which also have high specs but only a 14 inch screen - however, they also have Ati FireGL 5200 graphics.

I’m wondering does anyone know if there is a big difference in graphics/gaming performance between the X 1300/1400 graphics and the Ati FireGL 5200 graphics? Personally I would prefer to go with a T60 because of the larger screen, but dontwant to be disappointed with the gaming performance if the T60p performs a lot better.

USAFRet

Titan
In 2020, you will be 'disappointed' with the performance of either of those.
"decent specs" was applicable in 2005, maybe.

Unless they are actually free, why would you be considering laptops that are near 20 years old?

So I am wanting to buy a ThinkPad T60 because they are one of the only 4 x 3 laptops with decent specs, a good screen and an excellent keyboard. I want to use it for Internet browsing, office and some gaming where possible.

I’ve been looking on eBay and I’ve seen some high end models of the T60 with a 15 inch 1400x1050 screen, a Core 2 Duo processor, 3 GB of RAM, a solid state drive and dedicated ATI Radeon X 1300/X 1400 graphics. I’ve also seen some T60p laptops which also have high specs but only a 14 inch screen - however, they also have Ati FireGL 5200 graphics.

I’m wondering does anyone know if there is a big difference in graphics/gaming performance between the X 1300/1400 graphics and the Ati FireGL 5200 graphics? Personally I would prefer to go with a T60 because of the larger screen, but dontwant to be disappointed with the gaming performance if the T60p performs a lot better.

Gaming performance, you are talking about games that came out at the time those laptops came out I hope and nothing modern.

The FireGL 5200 series had several versions, so speed differences would depend on exactly what the model is as well as the screen resolution you will be running at.

Really asking about the gaming performance between those two is like asking about the price difference between a $1 taco and a $2 taco, sure one is double of the other, but even at $2 it's so low that it really does not matter which of those you pick.

jameshunt614

Prominent
Oct 20, 2018
In 2020, you will be 'disappointed' with the performance of either of those.
"decent specs" was applicable in 2005, maybe.

Unless they are actually free, why would you be considering laptops that are near 20 years old?

Because they are the best buisness laptops ever made. Have you not heard of the old Thinkpads? They are awesome.

I don't like the new laptops with thier crappy keyboards, 16:9 displays and poor build quiality. A nice tall 4:3 15 inch screen is much nicer.

These old ThinkPads are built like tanks.

I'm not planning to play the latest AAA titles (I have a much more powerful desktop for that) but I just want a well-built 4:3 ratio laptop for internet browsing, basic video editing, and playing older as well as low demanding games like Minecraft, Sims 4 and maybe even CS:GO.

I truly doubt any of those games will run on either version of that laptop.

Video editing? Maybe movie maker on windows xp. No supported windows version will run properly. Windows 10 drivers for a GPU from 2005? Good luck.

Web browsing will work but very very slow.

Love those old thinkpads, I have had a few.
Check for the passmark graphics ratings.
A quick look showed the FireGL 5200 performance to be considerably better.

Can you post a link to each laptop?
I promise not to buy it.
I

That video kind of confirmed a few things I said. He said that he didn't recommend video editing due to sub par performance. CSgo as he showed is not playable, and honestly the tf2 gameplay looked sub optimal to me as well. Sims 4 is probably fine. Minecraft did run which I guess isn't surprising now that I remember that core 2 duo laptops without any dgpu can somewhat run it.

Honestly the web browsing I saw was rather slow versus anything I'm used to. Heck, even my 9 year old machine (granted with ram and ssd upgrade) is far faster. Possible, but not optimal.

USAFRet

Titan
Because they are the best buisness laptops ever made. Have you not heard of the old Thinkpads? They are awesome.

I don't like the new laptops with thier crappy keyboards, 16:9 displays and poor build quiality. A nice tall 4:3 15 inch screen is much nicer.

I'm not planning to play the latest AAA titles (I have a much more powerful desktop for that) but I just want a well-built 4:3 ratio laptop for internet browsing, basic video editing, and playing older as well as low demanding games like Minecraft, Sims 4 and maybe even CS:GO.
Yes, I've heard of thinkpads.
I might even have one in the stack out in the garage.

Being tough and well built makes zero difference in respect to it being near 20 years old.
Sure, it runs.
No, it does not run well, in relation to anything in 2020.

Solid construction does not mean that will help you run modern programs. Old tanks were pretty solid also but they would get torn apart by modern shells, agility and aiming equipment on new tanks.

For the T60 they are going to be cheap enough you can buy one of each model and compare the speeds yourself in benchmarks if you don't want to look up benchmarks or compare video cards online.

ThinkPads in general are built well, up till about the T430 maybe 440 models they were in their own class. The newer models fell into the same fragile build and engineering than other laptops did, hard to get to parts, hard to open cases, fragile USB C ports they use for everything, soldered RAM chips, just horrible designs for high end laptops.

Minecraft wants a strong CPU not matter how simple it looks, SIMS 4 will also be slow on a T60, I had it installed on a T410 or 420 for my daughter once and it was laggy even on lower settings.

TRENDING THREADS