[SOLVED] Icons in some softwares change and glitch when I hover over them with my mouse ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HCTree

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
Hey, everyone. Just like the title says, when I hover over icons their image is replaced either by a stretched out, blurry version of themselves or solid flat color (usually black or pink). Other things like the scrollbar and some dialogue windows are also suffering from this issue. This has plagued me for the last few days and I have tried everything to my knowledge to fix it. The softwares presenting this problem so far are: Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer and Razer Synapse. To my knowledge, this hasn't spread to the rest of my computer, thankfully. I have updated all drivers in my PC including the Razer Synapse's and the Nvidia GPU one (mine is a gtx1060 6gb). I have uninstalled and reinstalled all softwares that are presenting this issue. I have restarted my computer several times and ran a windows troubleshoot. Nothing. If anyone knows what may be causing this issue that would be amazing. Thank you in advance.

Solution
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

it might be a conflict between programs.

what do you use synapse for?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Solution

HCTree

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020

Thank you for the quick answer! I use Synapse only for my Blackwidow keyboard. Since I don't know much about the subject, I always though a clean boot also erased all my files. I will run the tests, then. Thank you so much once again! 🙏

Colif

Win 11 Master
clean boot just pauses programs from running at startup, it doesn't remove them from the pc. they just don't run automatically when you start pc. its easy to revert back to normal. its non destructive, they are just stopped.

Clean install removes all your files., I wouldn't go to that step without trying something in between first. Clean install wasn't even on my choice list.

they aren't the same thing :)

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021
Signed up just to say thank you for creating the one thread I could find on the internet that actually described and addressed this issue, and to hopefully help boost the thread up the Google rankings a little for other lost internet explorers trying to debug this. (it took me all damn day)

On my side - it seems to have been caused by ASUS Armory Crate (installed for both my ROG Strix X570-F and 6800XT) or something that came with it.

I had it happen in Razer Synapse, 1Password and... SteamVR of all things. Like, the icon glitching was actually happening on the SteamVR dashboard overlay's buttons.

HCTree

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
I am very glad this thread helped! I will certainly check Armory Crate because I am still having issues. Did you have to uninstall the software or just remove it from startup?

Aug 19, 2021
I've done some additional testing by re-enabling some of the services I suspected the most one at a time.

The service at fault was "Nahimic service" - Google says this is connected to the Realtek audio drivers/Sound Studio/Sound Radar somehow. The problem came back when I booted with it enabled, and went away again when I booted with it disabled.

I am unsure of the effect this would have on the onboard sound, as I use an external DAC

I uninstalled the related programs, but the service remains in the list. It's disabled and not affecting my experience anymore - so I'm willing to move on and consider the problem resolved in my own case.

Edit: This issue seems to affect scalable graphics in .NET Core applications specifically. There are a couple of issue threads on the dotnet/wpf GitHub detailing this and how memory hooks in Nahimic specifically cause it.
https://github.com/dotnet/wpf/issues/707
https://github.com/dotnet/wpf/issues/2604

Last edited:
Reactions: Valeriia

HCTree

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
This makes a lot of sense since I had to reinstall my audio drivers and the Asus softwares just a few days before this problem started. The only place I could find Nahimic Service was on the task manager under the services tab. Is that where I disable it?

Aug 19, 2021
It's in the System Configuration/msconfig panel detailed in the clean boot instructions linked earlier in the thread by Colif.

cbfgMyS.png

Aug 24, 2021
Ok, i just want to say THANK YOU!. i've been strugling with this issue for over 1 month and couldn't find anything anywhere that could help me. I've reinstalled windows over 4 times this last week alone, trying to pin point the problem.
Just registered an account to express my gratitud with OP and everyone that helped provide an answer.
Thanks again,

<Mod Edit>: Keep the language clean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 18, 2021

Thank you!

I was yet another one who had been struggling with this for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.