[SOLVED] ID Cooling ARGB trio fans first time builder

Mar 27, 2021
I have an Asus Rog Strix b550f w/o WiFi (but did get an adapter) and ID Cooling XF-12025 ARGB trio fans. I just finished building one PC and the lights work but the fans are not turning. I’m not sure why... any help ?

Solution
You should find TWO different sockets on EACH of the fans, and the set comes with TWO different cables. One is for the fan MOTORS, and contains a FOUR-hole female connector to plug into a single mobo SYS_FAN header and three male outputs to plug into the fans' motor sockets. The other (for the lights in the fan frames) has wider connectors: a THREE-hole female to plug into the included manual control/power cables OR to plug into your mobo ARGB header. For this last option you do NOT use the supplied controller boxand its power cable; you simply plug the 4-headed cable into the mobo header labelled "Aura Addressable Gen2 Header" - see label 10 on the diagram on p. 1-2 of your manual, and p. 1-15 - and then into each fan's lighting...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You should find TWO different sockets on EACH of the fans, and the set comes with TWO different cables. One is for the fan MOTORS, and contains a FOUR-hole female connector to plug into a single mobo SYS_FAN header and three male outputs to plug into the fans' motor sockets. The other (for the lights in the fan frames) has wider connectors: a THREE-hole female to plug into the included manual control/power cables OR to plug into your mobo ARGB header. For this last option you do NOT use the supplied controller boxand its power cable; you simply plug the 4-headed cable into the mobo header labelled "Aura Addressable Gen2 Header" - see label 10 on the diagram on p. 1-2 of your manual, and p. 1-15 - and then into each fan's lighting socket. It appears that these fans are of the newer 4-pin PWM mtotor type, so the SYS_FAN header you use shuld be configured in BIOS Setup to use the PWM Mode, and not Voltage Control (aka DC) Mode.

Reactions: Karadjgne
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If it helps, electrically an ARGB fan is nothing more than an ARGB light strip glued to a plain-jane fan. To a pc, a argb strip and fan are the same thing as far as the lighting goes. You still need to power the fans and the lighting seperately since one is 5v and one is 12v.

Mar 27, 2021
You should find TWO different sockets on EACH of the fans, and the set comes with TWO different cables. One is for the fan MOTORS, and contains a FOUR-hole female connector to plug into a single mobo SYS_FAN header and three male outputs to plug into the fans' motor sockets. The other (for the lights in the fan frames) has wider connectors: a THREE-hole female to plug into the included manual control/power cables OR to plug into your mobo ARGB header. For this last option you do NOT use the supplied controller boxand its power cable; you simply plug the 4-headed cable into the mobo header labelled "Aura Addressable Gen2 Header" - see label 10 on the diagram on p. 1-2 of your manual, and p. 1-15 - and then into each fan's lighting socket. It appears that these fans are of the newer 4-pin PWM mtotor type, so the SYS_FAN header you use shuld be configured in BIOS Setup to use the PWM Mode, and not Voltage Control (aka DC) Mode.

This is what I have connected. I’m building 2 so this is the other set out the box. In the one built I have the female end plugged into the 3 pin ADD GEN 2 header. The controller end of the other set of fan wires is plugged into the cable going into the PSU and SATA.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0sn6GSzXBE_WasAitPk9BdMkg

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What are you using to enable fan control? Bios or software. You'll need to check the minimums. Some software, like my Asus Suite, has a 0rpm mode that'll shut off the fans if the temp isn't high enough, in bios if the fans minimum rotational % isn't high enough they can also refuse to spin. That particular header will probably need to be set manually to PWM mode, it can be defaulting to DC mode, and trying to apply 5v-7v on a fan that requires 12v constant to spin up at its rated amperage.

0.25A per fan is a lot, only those 3x fans can be on only 1 header, unless attached to a powered hub.

It's highly doubtful all 3 fans will be bunk at the same time, so I'd be more inclined to believe that if all 3 are physically connected back to the same header, there's a communications issue somewhere else.