Ide controller

I think I have a problem with the onboard IDE controller of my six years old
Gateway desktop. All of a sudden my two hard drives connected to bus 0
don't show up. (There is nothing in the bios) and when I boot, I get the
message "Operating System not found". The two devices connected to bus 1 do
show up in the bios. What can be done about this?

Neal Stoughton wrote:
> I think I have a problem with the onboard IDE controller of my six years old
> Gateway desktop. All of a sudden my two hard drives connected to bus 0
> don't show up. (There is nothing in the bios) and when I boot, I get the
> message "Operating System not found". The two devices connected to bus 1 do
> show up in the bios. What can be done about this?

First. reconnect or replace the IDE ribbon. Second would be to check the
drive which contains your OS. Also make sure you don't have a disk in
the floppy drive :)

FC

If the C2032 3v lithium battery has never been replaced, or has not been
recently replaced, try it. Computers have all manner of wierd symptoms caused
by a dead or dying battery unable to keep the information accurate stored in the
motherboard CMOS... Ben Myers

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:59:18 +0100, Neal Stoughton <nmstough@uci.edu> wrote:

>I think I have a problem with the onboard IDE controller of my six years old
>Gateway desktop. All of a sudden my two hard drives connected to bus 0
>don't show up. (There is nothing in the bios) and when I boot, I get the
>message "Operating System not found". The two devices connected to bus 1 do
>show up in the bios. What can be done about this?

Also try one drive at a time - one dead drive can render the whole chain
invisible.