IDE secondary master/slave

G

I am installing a generic(more or less) CD-RW drive and have run into the following problem. I already have my primary and secondary master/slave positions filled in my bios. I believe my only option is to remove one of the devices. I am going to remove the IDE zip 250 since the primary CD-drive is essential to the function of the CD-RW drive. I would like to keep the zip drive because I occasionally put files on it that I am going to delete soon for the same of cutting back on fragmentation. Is it possible to run the zip drive through an old floppy connection?

--------------------
The only thing to fear is fear itself, that and month old food in the back of the refrigerator.

G

I have
CPU: 1.4 gigahertz P4
Video Card: Nvidia Geforce 2
Primary master: Maxtor 40GB SCSI hard drive
Primary slave: Western Digital 40GB SCSI hard drive
Secondary master: 48x Liteon CDROM drive
Secondary slave: 250MB SCSI Internal Zip Drive
Floppy Drive: generic 3.5 inch floppy
If there is anything else I should include in my system spec please tell me.

<font color=blue>The only thing to fear is fear itself, well that and three month old leftovers.</font color=blue>

G

ignore me saying everything was IDE, its SCSI

<font color=blue>The only thing to fear is fear itself, well that and three month old leftovers.</font color=blue>

sandshoe

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2001
If it's a SCSI system, then i don't know where your getting the primary master / slave from & the drives shouldn't be showing up in the bios. I think you have IDE there. IF you do have SCSI, then generally a normal SCSI card can handle up to 7 devices. If your cable doesnt have that many connectors, get a longer SCSI cable.

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
cd drive = 1 ide
hdd = 2 ide
zip = 3 ide
scsi drive... does it take an ide? i personally dont think the cd drive is neccessary... it will slow down burning as you cant do on the fly without a second drive but you will be able to burn an image an then that to a cd...

if in doubt blame microsoft...