[SOLVED] Identifying a malicious Chrome extension

DudeInAGoodMood

Distinguished
May 25, 2013
I use several browser extensions on Chrome and recently realized that one of them is responsible for installing a malicious search engine called "SearchNet".

For obvious reasons I want to get rid of the extension, but removing them one by one while reseting all my browser preferences is not a valid option.

Is there any faster approach I can find the culprit?

Solution
After 15-20 years of bing, ask and other toolbars/seach engines, there's still not a tool that's been rigged to automatically remove them?
Your AV tool and MalwareBytes will remove it from your system.

Removing the actual extension that carries this malicious code, from the whole internet, is a whole different story.

Malicious things still turn up in the Apple store and GooglePlay. Which are supposedly curated and everything vetted before being published.
The interwebs is a big place.

USAFRet

Titan
After 15-20 years of bing, ask and other toolbars/seach engines, there's still not a tool that's been rigged to automatically remove them?

Removing the actual extension that carries this malicious code, from the whole internet, is a whole different story.

Malicious things still turn up in the Apple store and GooglePlay. Which are supposedly curated and everything vetted before being published.

Solution
I use several browser extensions on Chrome and recently realized that one of them is responsible for installing a malicious search engine called "SearchNet".

For obvious reasons I want to get rid of the extension, but removing them one by one while reseting all my browser preferences is not a valid option.

Is there any faster approach I can find the culprit?
Had this problem on a laptop little while ago. Malwarebytes got rid of it.

DudeInAGoodMood

Distinguished
May 25, 2013

I meant anti-malware software that can access Chrome's running process and its extensions separately.

I've started removing suspicious extensions, will report back which one to avoid.

Last edited: