IDF 2008: New SATA Standard Expands To 600 MB/s, Enables Next Phase For SSD Perf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Bandwidth speed is one thing, drive transfer rates are another. Make me a drive that can actually "push" 300MB/sec and SataIII may have a chance. Put a drive like that on laptop with an eSata port and I'm buying in!

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Stop using the incorrect terms "SATA 3.0", "SATA III", and "SATA II". They cause confusion because they imply that there are multiple standards when there are not. SATA is ONE standard.

The Serial ATA Organization (www.sata-io.org) has very specific guidelines for how to refer to the revisions of the standard and how to refer to the data transfer rates. See http://www.sata-io.org/6gbnamingguidelines.asp for the proper way to reference the name of the standard and the transfer rate spec.

dreamer77dd

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Well as i see it SATA has bin around for awhile and why not nkae another one that will be around for awhile or at least leave the door open for developers nd engineers to drea up stuff instead of putting a handicap on it. lets make it 20 gigs, ifi am hearing things right more cores, more software, more graphics cards... and of course more SSD. If they make SSD that have 30x the speed of hard drives, the price for them would not matter to me. i am paying for performance just liek people buying sports cars. They don't needed it but they sure do want it. In 5 years he price will be very low, jst like everything. playstation 3 was extremely expensive now only 300$ or something. things change and you have to prepare for that which i do not think SATA 3.0 is doing.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
It is pointless to think in terms of the SATA port needing to be faster than the real, theoretical potential of any future device connected to it, because it never can be, parallel (in time, not computer busses) technology developments will always make it true. Short bus low latency DRAM caching for example, will always be faster than an extended length serial bus, they can't just "choose" to make SATA faster because it is impossible and always will be unless they went back to paralleled (serial) busses which is the opposite of what everyone who fawned over SATA's early benefits wanted.

600MB/s is enough. Even SATA2 is enough. Something has to be the bottleneck, it would be silly to make everything constantly change and that at higher expense for everyone just to try and gain a tiny percentage in an unusual situation. That's why more exotic connect tech exists, SATA3 is supposed to be the cheap solution for the masses.

Status
Not open for further replies.