Question idiotic thoughts by me, about storage drive.

Sep 10, 2023
So guys I was wondering if I use a ssd/hdd/m.2 etc for the OS only, and add ssd/hdd/m.2 etc for softwares only and add another for games only.
Will this method save more life cycle ? or will it disrupt the performance.

Solution
When you install a piece of software, it typically makes changes to the registry. The registry is part of the OS, so you will then have two software components on different drives. This may make backups a little more complicated.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
won't change anything. it will just spread out the wear over 3 drives vs a single one.

i use multiple drives to keep everything separate and help minimize data loss if a single drive fails. not a bad idea.

ssd wear is from writing to the disk over and over. if all the data is doing is being read, then it has no impact on life of the drive.

Reactions: CountMike

USAFRet

Titan
So guys I was wondering if I use a ssd/hdd/m.2 etc for the OS only, and add ssd/hdd/m.2 etc for softwares only and add another for games only.
Will this method save more life cycle ? or will it disrupt the performance.
It does little good to have your applications on a different drive.
In fact, it makes things much more complicated.

You'd get no performance or longevity benefit.

Games, maybe. But only because they are so large.

Sep 10, 2023
When you install a piece of software, it typically makes changes to the registry. The registry is part of the OS, so you will then have two software components on different drives. This may make backups a little more complicated.
Thanks sir, I never thought about the registry, that makes so much more sense.