[SOLVED] Idle CPU temperature at 80 C?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2021
Hello. This is my first post here, and I'm at a complete loss for what to do. I have a gaming laptop, an HP OMEN 15 to be exact. It has a Ryzen 5 4600H cpu, a GTX 1660ti 4gb graphics card and an 8gb RAM. I had heating issues before, but they were minor, and could be accounted for by the weather since it gets hot around here. Today, while gaming, I found it hot to the touch. I checked the temperatures, to find it was at around 95 C which was alarming, and I quickly shut it down. I waited for it to cool off, and restarted it to find my ram usage was at a constant 60-65% usage on idle, which was surprising, and unusual. There were no background apps. Also, my cpu stayed at a 60 C temperaure, which was concerning but once again, can be accounted for by the weather.
While looking for a fix to the ram problem, I suddenly find the temperature has risen up to a temperature of 80-90 C, which is very alarming. It has not changed, and keeps fluctuating in that range. Ram usage is still the same.
I have tried restarting and running a scan with my premium McAfee. I'm completely helpless, and very worried regarding this. I'd appreciate any and all help. Thank you.

Solution
Sorry, I just wanted to mention that I did infact run a virus scan. I have checked the resources in task manager, and the only time it hogged resources was when I ran the scan. And other than that, there's only the usual background windows services. But none of them account for the 5gb of ram being taken up. Thanks for the info, I didn't know that about McAfee, the only reason I had it was because it came with my laptop.
And yes, the fans were spinning, I checked that, I even tried running them on max speed to see if it helped, but it only decreased the temperature by about a few degrees. It stays around 70-65 C on max fan speed. Thanks for you advice. I really appreciate it.

Then the only logical point of interest here is the...
"premium mcafee"... Firstly, right click on the taskbar and open task-manager. Try to locate what is eating all these resources. My guess, it's you're premium mcafee. The services it uses could be eating away our resources by just doing basic background scans and various other 'tasks'. I use tasks likely because there has been much controversy over mcafee. It's not only riddled with prior lawsuits and conspiracies of crpyto mining but is generally known as one of the poorer ant-virus suites that eat up resources for no good reason. I'd end your premium account and switch to something more lightweight and user friendly. Hell, even windows built-in defender is fine enough for your daily browsing.

As for your CPU getting really hot, Try to check if your fans are spinning at a reasonable speed or spinning at all, and possibly if the thermal paste is applied correctly (that should be a last resort, this entails opening up your laptop).

Apr 25, 2021
"premium mcafee"... Firstly, right click on the taskbar and open task-manager. Try to locate what is eating all these resources. My guess, it's you're premium mcafee. The services it uses could be eating away our resources by just doing basic background scans and various other 'tasks'. I use tasks likely because there has been much controversy over mcafee. It's not only riddled with prior lawsuits and conspiracies of crpyto mining but is generally known as one of the poorer ant-virus suites that eat up resources for no good reason. I'd end your premium account and switch to something more lightweight and user friendly. Hell, even windows built-in defender is fine enough for your daily browsing.

As for your CPU getting really hot, Try to check if your fans are spinning at a reasonable speed or spinning at all, and possibly if the thermal paste is applied correctly (that should be a last resort, this entails opening up your laptop).

Sorry, I just wanted to mention that I did infact run a virus scan. I have checked the resources in task manager, and the only time it hogged resources was when I ran the scan. And other than that, there's only the usual background windows services. But none of them account for the 5gb of ram being taken up. Thanks for the info, I didn't know that about McAfee, the only reason I had it was because it came with my laptop.
And yes, the fans were spinning, I checked that, I even tried running them on max speed to see if it helped, but it only decreased the temperature by about a few degrees. It stays around 70-65 C on max fan speed. Thanks for you advice. I really appreciate it.

Then the only logical point of interest here is the thermal paste. Other people are reporting idle temps of 40-50C, which is normal. 60 and above is a red flag. It's possible the thermal paste has heated up too much and evaporated, or that the fans inside the laptop is completed covered in dust/hair. You'll need to open the laptop and inspect the heating solution either way, or if you have warranty, try contacting the manufacturer and see what they can do about it.

Hopefully this is the model you have, here's a teardown:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzMF_dEZRuE

Solution
Apr 25, 2021
Then the only logical point of interest here is the thermal paste. Other people are reporting idle temps of 40-50C, which is normal. 60 and above is a red flag. It's possible the thermal paste has heated up too much and evaporated, or that the fans inside the laptop is completed covered in dust/hair. You'll need to open the laptop and inspect the heating solution either way, or if you have warranty, try contacting the manufacturer and see what they can do about it.

Hopefully this is the model you have, here's a teardown:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzMF_dEZRuE
Yea, I think that's the only solution left to me too. I know that the fans aren't clogged, just a little bit of dust I couldn't get to using just a cloth. Are there any brands of thermal paste you'd recommend? I've never applied any before, but I've been looking around, and it seems easy enough. None mentioned what brand I should go for. I really really appreciate all the help so far. Thank you.

Yea, I think that's the only solution left to me too. I know that the fans aren't clogged, just a little bit of dust I couldn't get to using just a cloth. Are there any brands of thermal paste you'd recommend? I've never applied any before, but I've been looking around, and it seems easy enough. None mentioned what brand I should go for. I really really appreciate all the help so far. Thank you.

I'd recommend Kyronaut.

Also for your RAM issue, I still stand that it's caused by McAfee; every time you do a task like open a game or browser mcafee uses resources to scan and I presume it doesn't do a good job of cleaning up it's own data since as you say your memory is filled up with 5GB of unknown data. Even though you don't see it on task manager, mcafee could be leaking a ton of data in your systems non-paged pool (data stored onto RAM for later access by windows), most subscription based antivirus software have this issue.

If you're not paying for premium at the moment and it's just a trial that came with your computer, I'd uninstall it asap. Malwarebytes is a free and similar tool that is widely known, used, and comes lightweight.
If you are paying for mcafee, then I guess wait for the subscription to expire and then get rid of it (though be warned, mcafee has been known to be notorisouly frustrating to uninstall, they want to keep you as much as possible, here's an uninstall guide)

Apr 25, 2021
I'd recommend Kyronaut.

Also for your RAM issue, I still stand that it's caused by McAfee; every time you do a task like open a game or browser mcafee uses resources to scan and I presume it doesn't do a good job of cleaning up it's own data since as you say your memory is filled up with 5GB of unknown data. Even though you don't see it on task manager, mcafee could be leaking a ton of data in your systems non-paged pool (data stored onto RAM for later access by windows), most subscription based antivirus software have this issue.

If you're not paying for premium at the moment and it's just a trial that came with your computer, I'd uninstall it asap. Malwarebytes is a free and similar tool that is widely known, used, and comes lightweight.
If you are paying for mcafee, then I guess wait for the subscription to expire and then get rid of it (though be warned, mcafee has been known to be notorisouly frustrating to uninstall, they want to keep you as much as possible, here's an uninstall guide)
Alright, I'll check it out. And yes, I uninstalled it as soon as I could. I only had it since it came with my laptop. It resulted in freeing up 1gb of ram, it's at 51% ram utilization now.

Apr 25, 2021
What is your room TEMP?
If your unahppy with it under warranty you can take it back.
Desktop has way better thermals. Especially if you like to see low temps, i would suggest getting a desktop PC>
Room temperatures around this time are a bit around 40-45 C.
And believe me, a desktop would always be my priority. If only I didn't have to live away from home I would have gotten myself a desktop. It would've been cheaper, and way better.

Status
Not open for further replies.