[SOLVED] Idle Only Noise - Torn Head?

Arnie06

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
Hey Crew!

So, I have a 3.5" WD 1TB Black Edition HDD (WDC WD 1003FZEX-00K3CA0), and I was hoping someone could help me with identifying the sound issue i'm having.

I have only had this drive about a year and a half, but for the longest time now, it makes the following noise when "idle"...
I use the word "idle" only because:
  1. It starts to make the noise after I have left the room for a while then come back, OR if I have been doing a single prolonged task (like drafting a text document).
  2. As soon as I drill into/activate the drive (in this case G: ) the HDD spins up/sounds more active, and the noise goes away.
  3. After it sits for a while again, the noise goes away...
Lastly, I did some researching, and the closest thing I could find was that maybe it's a torn head? Though, I figured I would come here and lean on the expert & enthusiast community to help me out.

First post, but I've lurked here for YEARS (EDIT: Turns out I joined in 2012 and did post something...the more ya' know...)! haha.

Thanks in advance, and I hope everyone is staying healthy, safe, and sane out there!

-A

Last edited:
Solution
Were the drive crashed, I suspect you'd know it with symptoms of freezes, data transfer timeouts, and/or constant shrieking noise, although such a high pitched shriek as from yours is not a pleasant sound to hear from spinning drives, to be sure...
Were the drive crashed, I suspect you'd know it with symptoms of freezes, data transfer timeouts, and/or constant shrieking noise, although such a high pitched shriek as from yours is not a pleasant sound to hear from spinning drives, to be sure...

Solution