IE9: 2.35 Million Downloads on Day One

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hmfic

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
Who's the focking brain surgeon at Microsoft that moved the Favorites button to the right of the window, by the Home button? Jebus focking hell, wtf?
Hit it and it drops the list on the right side of the screen. Pin it and it pins it to the left side of the screen. Seriously? Is this some sort of joke?

Other than that, the browser works fine.

zinabas

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]officeguy[/nom]I saw all the comments so far and nothing was mention about the girl pic. I guess more people are interested in browers then the hot IE girl.[/citation]

The only thing attractive about her is the fact she tech savvy enough to support a web browser and its a poor choice of browser at that, so fap away and post a comment relevant to the conversation when you have one.

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
just loaded IE9 and WOW!! so far impressed. seems very fast and i like the cleaner more techy look. Been a while since i've been impressed with an IE release.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]zinabas[/nom]The only thing attractive about her is the fact she tech savvy enough to support a web browser and its a poor choice of browser at that, so fap away and post a comment relevant to the conversation when you have one.[/citation]
So you don't think she is attractive?
Gay

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]SAINT19[/nom]Those 2.35 millions are people that don't use Windows update? Because if we keep that Windows update download and install those "new updates" when are availables, here aren't something new, just MS trying to show numbers.[/citation]

IE9 is not available through windows update yet. 2.35 mil downloads are from people going and requesting the download manually through the site. I know because I had to do it on 3 computers.

So stfu.

christopherknapp

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Arethel[/nom]It downloaded for me in 1.58 seconds.[/citation]

I think you are referring to the download of the "downloader" and not the actual install files associated with the install. Nice try though.

darkphox

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
I'm in Kabul, Afg and downloaded it via our crappy network that's routed through hongkong. Took a little over 5 minutes between starting the installer, and having to restart. My wife did it while I was on the phone with her and it took less than 1 minute. Overall, I'm impressed with the browser, not so much with the fanboys of other browsers who have to hate when the big company in the game comes out with something good :-/

AMD_pitbull

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]zinabas[/nom]I downloaded it and can't say I enjoy it.Call me crazy but somethings fishy is going on with it as well. I ran FF after I decided I didn't want IE anymore and it crashed on the first start, which is the first time in about 3 months that's happened. Hasn't done it since and I haven't used IE since either.[/citation]
So, because FF crapped out on you, it's must be another IE's fault? Really? lol. Let me guess, MS talking about the release of IE9 killed off an endangered species somewhere, or caused 1 million random infections too, right?

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
[citation][nom]officeguy[/nom]I saw all the comments so far and nothing was mention about the girl pic. I guess more people are interested in browers then the hot IE girl.[/citation]

I clicked on the girl...

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]This tells all those people who say "IE is only used because it comes with Windows" to STFU.Not bundled anymore, still massively popular, people like it, use it and are sick of listening to fat sweaty dweebs bleating on about Firefox.[/citation]

And you're a 40-something, technology illiterate retard who still clicks copy and right clicks paste right? Probably running Norton Anti-virus and wondering what that flashy little ad on the screen means saying "You WON, click here for your prize!".

Oh yeah, generalizing doesn't work well does it?

IE has been, for many years, behind. There's no other way to describe it. Microsoft for a while had the attitude of "They have no other choices, so we can provide them and do how we like". Problem is, a browser called Firefox emerged, and ultimately pushed them to actually CARE about being on the cutting edge of web browsing. Yes, there have ALWAYS been alternatives to IE, but Firefox was really the one who gained enough market share to make Microsoft realize they need to get their s*** together.

Firefox has the open-based community, and innovative minds at work. Microsoft....just really doesn't. They're always thinking with that corporate mindset.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]zinabas[/nom]I downloaded it and can't say I enjoy it.Call me crazy but somethings fishy is going on with it as well. I ran FF after I decided I didn't want IE anymore and it crashed on the first start, which is the first time in about 3 months that's happened. Hasn't done it since and I haven't used IE since either.[/citation]Firefox crashed but that's impossible so clearly it must be a conspiracy? :/

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]excidium[/nom]People still use IE?[/citation]

People still make this ignorant statement?

Even though its obviously a joke considering market share the only thing i can see this joke doing is the "im going to look cool and hate on IE joke" or you really are stupid enough to think no one uses IE. I pick the first.

Haven't Found a browser yet that i can use to fully replace IE. None of the others are fully compatible with all the sites i goto other then IE. So far the only thing i like about IE9 over IE8 is the single address bar for search and browsing sites.

[citation][nom]WhySoBluePandaBear[/nom]Firefox has the open-based community, and innovative minds at work. Microsoft....just really doesn't. They're always thinking with that corporate mindset.[/citation]

Likely why it has nothing to offer me over IE Personally i think its garbage. This is also likely why people over look massive security holes in the program in its self along with the huge ones put in by the "open source" community making plugins. Because its not made by microsoft everyone will of course overlook all of this. But if IE loads a site .0005 seconds slower everyone will be all over that as if it caused the end of the world.

Anyways use what works best for you.. IE works best for me. Back by demand has a point. Thinking people only use IE because their OS comes with it is as ignorant as the question "people still use IE?"

[citation][nom]hmfic[/nom]Who's the focking brain surgeon at Microsoft that moved the Favorites button to the right of the window, by the Home button? Jebus focking hell, wtf? Hit it and it drops the list on the right side of the screen. Pin it and it pins it to the left side of the screen. Seriously? Is this some sort of joke?Other than that, the browser works fine.[/citation]

You can still enable the Favorites bar. I am actually used to IE9 now so I get meesed up on IE8.

I am also running FF4 for some addons for a site but other than that, IE9 is pretty much faster.
As for the pinning, its based on how you have your task bar setup. IE only places the pin there, doesn't say where. Your task bar does.

[citation][nom]christopherknapp[/nom]I think you are referring to the download of the "downloader" and not the actual install files associated with the install. Nice try though.[/citation]

I downloaded it at work (its 34MB) and we can push up to 8Mb/s downlaods (I think we are running a 70-80MB cable connection) and it took a few seconds. I didn't even get to look at the speed of it in the download manager.

Either way 2.35 million in a day is pretty good. I suspect it will become more after a few weeks. I mean IE9 is a thousand times better than IE8 for people who don't want or know of FF and I like it a lot so far. It works great. Can't wait till Toms updates the site to utilize some of the HTML5, hint hint THG....

prodigygamer

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

IE girl is georgous, I have already done things to her in my head that I would not dare mention on any online site! lol :)

On Topic: I use IE9 after upgrading from IE8 and love it, nice speed increase and performance increase over IE8 and does everything I need it to do without crashing.

P.S. Anyone know the IE models name? or is she just a THW random pic?

robd007

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
you sound like an IE fanboy

[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]People still make this ignorant statement?Even though its obviously a joke considering market share the only thing i can see this joke doing is the "im going to look cool and hate on IE joke" or you really are stupid enough to think no one uses IE. I pick the first.Haven't Found a browser yet that i can use to fully replace IE. None of the others are fully compatible with all the sites i goto other then IE. So far the only thing i like about IE9 over IE8 is the single address bar for search and browsing sites.Likely why it has nothing to offer me over IE Personally i think its garbage. This is also likely why people over look massive security holes in the program in its self along with the huge ones put in by the "open source" community making plugins. Because its not made by microsoft everyone will of course overlook all of this. But if IE loads a site .0005 seconds slower everyone will be all over that as if it caused the end of the world.Anyways use what works best for you.. IE works best for me. Back by demand has a point. Thinking people only use IE because their OS comes with it is as ignorant as the question "people still use IE?"[/citation]

jonathan_rg

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
IE only works to download virus and another browser as Opera or Firefox.
IE is the browser for noobs.
I'm sure most of these downloads are due to automatic updates. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.