[SOLVED] If CPU is i9-7900X & CPU cooler is Corsair H100i Pro RGB

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
PCGamesN was saying that the quietest AIO cooler is the Corsair H100i Pro RGB.

So I am thinking of buying it.

Is it powerful enough to cool down i9-7900X when the computer is in full use for hours?

Solution
Cooling itself should be adequate, but noise levels on computational loads for extended times could be more audible that you prefer. Mine isn't exactly quiet from several feet away when CPU is being stressed.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
PCGamesN was saying that the quietest AIO cooler is the Corsair H100i Pro RGB.
That's total bull from PCGN. ANY cooler can be set to run quiet once you customize fan/pump curves yourself.

when the computer is in full use for hours?
... doing what?

Without having to change anything in bios:
1)Games? Sure.
2)Browsing, MS Word, video editing? Sure.
3)Blender, Cinebench R23, OCCT small data set, and the like? Negative.

I'm currently using a 7820X direct die mounted with an Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 360(fans replaced with Phanteks T30-120). I've also used a NH-D15S(2 fans) and Fractal Celsius+ S28 Dynamic on it.
With 1 & 2, I personally don't notice any difference between these 3 coolers. It's not until apps like Cinebench and OCCT that the coolers start to split off.

FYI: H100i Pro is about the same tier as the NH-D15.

Reactions: mujmuj and uWebb429
As mentioned above, what usage scenario are you referring to? I have the same cooler in my ITX build with an AMD Ryzen setup. It's cooling a 5950X without issue with gaming, occasion Handbrake usage, and Windows general light usage tasks. This is within a tiny chassis. I'd tend to believe your cooling requirements would be in the ballpark, minus any OCing.

Reactions: mujmuj
do you already have some X299 board to put it in? (Or perhaps a great combo deal on known good pair of components?)

7900X is not something typically on a 'must have ' list by today's standards despite having 10 cores/20 threads, as it certainly outperformed by any 5800X or the 12600K in pretty much all scenarios...; and certainly a 12100 or 12400F would outperform it in gaming , even with the 7900X OC'd , assuming you were adequately cooling it's OC'd 200+ watt thermals...

Reactions: mujmuj

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
That's total bull from PCGN. ANY cooler can be set to run quiet once you customize fan/pump curves yourself.

... doing what?

Without having to change anything in bios:
1)Games? Sure.
2)Browsing, MS Word, video editing? Sure.
3)Blender, Cinebench R23, OCCT small data set, and the like? Negative.

I'm currently using a 7820X direct die mounted with an Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 360(fans replaced with Phanteks T30-120). I've also used a NH-D15S(2 fans) and Fractal Celsius+ S28 Dynamic on it.
With 1 & 2, I personally don't notice any difference between these 3 coolers. It's not until apps like Cinebench and OCCT that the coolers start to split off.

FYI: H100i Pro is about the same tier as the NH-D15.

I run statistical packages (regressions, mathematical model computation) on 40GB data. I don't need to have a good graphic. I don't do graphic design or anything like that.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
A review with many coolers to compare
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8...-System-Setup-Thermal-Tests-and-Noise-Results
seems to me that this aircooler does better when quieter and likely costing alot less,
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/B8...macho-rt-736-cfm-cpu-cooler-le-grand-macho-rt
results are with a 6700K so might vary for the cpu you ask about, but not by that much i assume.

What case do you use? Might very well be other aio options with for example 2x140mm fans which could well be quieter.

TRENDING THREADS