Question If I upgrade will it bottleneck?

Aug 4, 2022
Please keep it to 1 thread
If i upgrade a p6654y pavilion computer to a phenom x6 1055t will it bottle neck? And can i add a 650 ti too? I will be upgrading ram to 8 gigs

Lutfij

Titan
The VRM on that prebuilt board will not cooperate with a X6 variant of the AM3 processor. To add, any investment you make on that prebuilt will likely be moot and the amount would very likely come up to an entry level gaming system or a second hand system to be precise. I'd advise to leave it as is.

Aug 4, 2022
The VRM on that prebuilt board will not cooperate with a X6 variant of the AM3 processor. To add, any investment you make on that prebuilt will likely be moot and the amount would very likely come up to an entry level gaming system or a second hand system to be precise. I'd advise to leave it as is.
if i were to upgrade the cpu tho what should i upgrade it to? I need the computer to be faster

Lutfij

Titan
No matter what you throw at it, it won't get faster. You could add an SSD to the build to make it feel faster but it won't be of much help. You're also probably going to have to source a new PSU. Info for the board is either limited or doesn't exist,. I looked on HP's site, they removed the system from their end.

Aug 4, 2022
No matter what you throw at it, it won't get faster. You could add an SSD to the build to make it feel faster but it won't be of much help. You're also probably going to have to source a new PSU. Info for the board is either limited or doesn't exist,. I looked on HP's site, they removed the system from their end.
So its pretty much impossible to make it faster? I will try to give u specs if u need it

I was in a similar situation many years ago with a Phenom II based system, and no, there is nothing worthwhile you can do to increase performance.
An SSD will improve user experience, but nothing performance based.

What about the current performance is lacking? Depending on the situation an SSD may be good enough.

Aug 4, 2022
I was in a similar situation many years ago with a Phenom II based system, and no, there is nothing worthwhile you can do to increase performance.
An SSD will improve user experience, but nothing performance based.

What about the current performance is lacking? Depending on the situation an SSD may be good enough.
we bought like 5 old comptuers for $100 this is one of them its currently broken cuz of ram problems we bought 8 gigs thhat will arrive soon so we dont know the performance yet

Aug 3, 2022
I upgraded my FX-8350 system from an HDD to an SSD and I had a very noticeable difference in load times on everything. Window feels snappier now. No change in gaming performance but I knew that in advance. But it is worth upgrading to an SSD. Try that

Aug 4, 2022
I upgraded my FX-8350 system from an HDD to an SSD and I had a very noticeable difference in load times on everything. Window feels snappier now. No change in gaming performance but I knew that in advance. But it is worth upgrading to an SSD. Try that
i think it got upgraded to a ssd before we bouught it ... idk we gotta check

USAFRet

Titan
we bought like 5 old comptuers for $100 this is one of them its currently broken cuz of ram problems we bought 8 gigs thhat will arrive soon so we dont know the performance yet
Basically, you did someone a favor by taking his trash so he didn't have to take it to the dump.
And paid him $100 for the privilege.

Cut your losses, consider this $100 gone.

Don't "upgrade" these things.
Mashup whatever parts work, and sell the one sort of working system for $100 to someone equally clueless.

With this platform, there is NO viable performance upgrade, at any price.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Forget about bottleneck. Totally. In that pc it won't exist.

There's only 1 cause of a cpu 'bottlenecking' and that's the software it runs. Your current cpu (and platform) is old enough that even some older game titles are going to be slow. It's unavoidable. The only way to see a performance difference would be to run games of that same Era, as in 10+ years old. Anything newer will automatically 'bottleneck' the cpu. Put a faster cpu in it, same affect, overall will still be 'bottlenecked'.

You've got an old man in a foot race with teenagers. He's going to lose. Doesn't matter which walker or cane or vitamins he uses, he's simply too slow vs newer stuff. Even the fastest cpus of that platform will only mean he loses by 3.9minutes instead of 4.0minutes.

There's just too much gap in ability compared to what newer game codes are written to use today.

Reactions: Dietz Diet