iFixit's Repair Manual for World's Least Repairable Notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I LOVE APPLE! NATURAL SELECTION AT ITS FINEST!

YOU SEE AN APPLE CONSUMER (LOW FORM OF LIFE) YOU KNOW TO AVOID THAT PERSON AT ALL COSTS.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]I would "repair" it with a hammer and then purchase a real PC instead![/citation]
that's what a closed minded person would do...very nice...noooot

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]clubsaucekiller[/nom]Luckily you won't have to repair it, unlike the idiots who bought their lowest-bidder PCs.[/citation]

All electronic components in that computer have a failure rate, sadly i have to inform you that there is no such thing as magic silicon that comes without risk of failures. You think that PC is made from the best of the best because its expensive, seem you have much to learn about electronics manufacturing.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]that's what a closed minded person would do...very nice...noooot[/citation]

A closed minded person is one who purchases a laptop for 3000$ that only have one truly high-end component - the screen and that is what the entire line is marketed with with - At its price class it have below average performance because more powerful cpu/gpu/mem configurations are available from other vendors.

Anyone who have an open mind would realize that there are more powerful configurations at that price-class to begin with, heck the close minded person buying it even have to purchase a thunderbolt -> Ethernet dongle at a "friendly" price after the purchase.

[citation][nom]clubsaucekiller[/nom]Luckily you won't have to repair it, unlike the idiots who bought their lowest-bidder PCs.[/citation]
Take a look at these: http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/11/17/reliability.study.has.apple.4th.place/
http://jdnash.com/2010/01/notebook-failure-rates/

Seems Apple is behind a few other PC manufacturers. You have to remember, Apple does not build the parts on their products, they use the same manufacturers the others do.

idono

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

No instead i toss the piece of crap in the garbage when it breaks down. While i can spend less than 1/10th of the price to fix my PC without actually waiting 1 month and have it break down 2 weeks later.

My lowest bidder PC also has better and cheaper hardware than your branded computer that is about half as efficent.

itsnotmeitsyou

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Retina does a few good things; It pushes the market to higher res screens, 1080 has been around for long enough. Its ideal for iPad(3) programmers who need native resolution programming without a 30" monitor (portability). it approaches ultrabook thinness, with mid line laptop hardware, and a full size interface.
Its not for the 99%. its not for me.

but its not a failure, its more of a rough draft, like the 1gen MB air, which helped spawn the utrabook market. Its "proof of concept" and pushing tech in aspects not valuable to 13 year olds.

dont forget, its installed into a machined block of Aluminum, not some sheetmetal/plastic hotwheels box with lights. from a design standpoint, thats simply sexy.

that said, its still not something I would buy.

itsnotmeitsyou

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Retina does a few good things; It pushes the market to higher res screens, 1080 has been around for long enough. Its ideal for iPad(3) programmers who need native resolution programming without a 30" monitor (portability). it approaches ultrabook thinness, with mid line laptop hardware, and a full size interface.
Its not for the 99%. its not for me.

but its not a failure, its more of a rough draft, like the 1gen MB air, which helped spawn the utrabook market. Its "proof of concept" and pushing tech in aspects not valuable to 13 year olds.

dont forget, its installed into a machined block of Aluminum, not some sheetmetal/plastic hotwheels box with lights. from a design standpoint, thats simply sexy.

that said, its still not something I would buy.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]Take a look at these: http://www.electronista.com/articl [...] 4th.place/http://jdnash.com/2010/01/notebook-failure-rates/Seems Apple is behind a few other PC manufacturers. You have to remember, Apple does not build the parts on their products, they use the same manufacturers the others do.[/citation]

Find that list amusing considering that Asus usually is the "low price" brand in the list (beside Acer), choose the components wisely and quality will follow!

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

*RAM goes bad because laws of physics don't permit invincible silicon circuits*

You're ****ed.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Simple solution... don't buy one.
Basic 'repairs' or upgrades like memory, drives or batteries should
be user serviceable without custom tools.

[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Find that list amusing considering that Asus usually is the "low price" brand in the list (beside Acer), choose the components wisely and quality will follow![/citation]
Asus is one of the only laptop manufacturers to make their own laptops. They spun off their manufacturing facility (now named Pegatron) 5 years ago, but of all the brand names they're the ones with the closest relationship between brand name and manufacturer. They're actually one of the highest quality manufacturers, they just have both high-quality and low-quality models, and most people who buy cheap computers only see the low-quality models.

Acer used to be in the same shoes as Asus, except they spun off their manufacturing division (Wistron) 10 years ago. The only others I know which manufacture their own are the Thinkpad line when IBM owned it (not sure what Lenovo's done with it), and the top of the line Sony models.

There are probably a few more, but pretty much none of the notebook brand names make their own laptops. They're made by ODMs - Original Design Manufacturers. The Macbooks are designed and manufactured by Quanta. Quanta also makes most of HP's models, and a good number of Dell's. Apple, HP, Dell, etc. exercise creative control and specify what they want. But the nuts and bolts of the design and manufacturing work is done by ODMs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_laptop_brands_and_manufacturers#Original_Design_Manufacturers_.28ODMs.29

So it's really pretty silly to be comparing laptops based on brand name. If you want to compare quality, you should be digging to figure out which ODM makes the model you bought. Unfortunately, all the brand names are very reluctant to discuss it. When the unibody aluminum Macbooks first came out, there was a fascinating article about how Quanta had developed the aluminum milling technology and pitched it to Apple who agreed to go with it on the Macbook. But I've never been able to find it again.

richarduk

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
Seems to me Apple are making these hard to fix so they can screw more money out of the owners. The car industry have tried this in Europe and so far have been stopped. When are they going to wake up to Apple's anti market activities????

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
Why am I not feeling surprised? Apple WANTS their product to be as intrustry incombatible as possible and as difficult to repair as possible with standard tools, in order to gain more PROFIT by exclusively repairing their products. Since Macs are actually 99% PCs nowdays, they still invent incredibly creative things in order to achieve this: Custom cable changes on ATX PSUs, etc etc. Once again: Apple is 100 times worst than Microsoft. They want TOTAL control on every aspect of their products. It's crazy that they haven't changed this philosophy from the 80's and they are still in business. I guess they get fuelled by an army of fanboys, buying overpriced products and paying for every stupid gadget or every expensive support contract..

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
User repairability is simply an engineering trade-off.
Making a 2kg 15" laptop as thin as an ultrabook with a 95Whr battery, full-voltage mobile processor and a dedicated graphics card is a lot more difficult if you also want it to make user serviceable.

Call me when there's a competing laptop with the same specs that can be easily repaired. Where are you going to get parts from anyway? It's all custom stuff in there.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
The components in a mac are the same components in any mid range PC. it is no secret, look at high res pics of a mac motherboard, then look at high res pictures of a mid range motherboard (the surface mount components are the same)

Even on that motherboard, the power management hardware is the same kind used on the dell vostro 3000 series and HP beats audio series laptops

Apple is not using magic to make their laptops and they wont magically get extra reliability out of the same parts. they just try to push that image to justify their insane prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.