Question I'm experiencing desync in games (especially in Rhythm) what am I supposed to do?

Jun 14, 2024
Hello everyone! I would like to know some kind of solution or at least the source of the problem if possible.

So I was experiencing desyncs while gaming, especially in Rhythm games. In FPS shooters I started noticing it even when I wasx only playing CS:GO.. I fully stop with my character, my crosshair is on the target and can't shoot the still standing enemy... Same in VALORANT.. and can't call it a first shot inaccuracy, because it happens every single time.. Can't call it a skill issue either, I peaked Ascendant 2, but can't progress further because of this single issue..

As I observed it when I go above my refresh rate or simply uncap my fps the game becomes "mechanically" unstable.. This event started happening since I switched from 60hz to 165hz but I think It maybe has to do something with my motherboard. In rhythm games it's worse. Let's take osu! as an example. I had a hard time setting my offset for about 2 years now in offset wizard (yeah call me stupid), and I still see a lot of time difference in between seeing the circle approach and the music rhythm.

Just for fun I went back to 60hz, easily could set my offset and got 87 unstable rate on a map with 99.1% accuracy, went back to 165hz and got a 117 unstable rate and almost failed by missing every single note. Seems kinda interesting playing better on 60hz than my main refresh rate. Then I tried playing on 165hz-165 fps cap with gsync + fast sync so I get a bit lower amount of input lag as I should, and again I could easily set my offset and had good accuracies and urs in different kinds of maps.

So... as I was using unlimited fps limit or optimal (960fps) limit before, i had a hard time setting my offset and actually hitting the notes, and when I used the games Vsync option ( cause it acts different on 60hz+), it was much better, but still had the same issue. In the last place, you might ask if it's better on 165fps cap why am I not playing on 165fps?.. because of the delay I get itself. - in osu! I get a minimum of 6.5ms delay. And it may not sound such a big of a deal, but it does.. It's more noticeable than you think..

Thanks ahead for reading this text and for any upcoming answer to my question, any would really help!

My pc specs are:
GPU: GTX 1650 SUPER
CPU: i5-10400F
RAM: 16 GB RAM - DDR4 2666 Mhz (With XMP)
The cooling is great
Motherboard: Gigabyte B460 HD3

My monitor: AOC 27G2SPAE 165hz

Considering I play a certain rhythm game where timing is heavily tied to how stable the refresh rate is, this is what I have to do to get the game running properly.
  • In NVIDIA Control Panel -> Manage 3D settings, set everything to default
  • If available, change "Monitor Technology" to "Fixed Refresh Rate"
  • Change "Vertical Sync" to "On"
You may also need enable Low Latency Mode if that's available to you.

Jun 14, 2024
Considering I play a certain rhythm game where timing is heavily tied to how stable the refresh rate is, this is what I have to do to get the game running properly.
I used custom settings before but using the default + llm on seems to help
Vsync has too much input delay tho, fast sync might do great aswell.

Thanks for the reply!

Jun 14, 2024
Well... after a bit of using, the default NVIDIA settings and llm on really helped but Vertical or Fast sync is just unbearably delayed and without it the problem still remains and with it it's much better but still not a solution.