Question I'm getting 4 beeps and 4 red lights with a new PSU on an HP Z220 SFF Workstation ?

May 31, 2024
Hi , i've got a new graphics card that requires more wattage than my current small form factor 240w PSU, and i've been wanting to get a new PSU but my motherboard :
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/0-MAAOSwNoxkBut4/s-l1600.webp
does have a 24-pin but instead it has a 6-pin and a small 6-pin.

I plugged a different 280 watt PSU to test the adapter cable I got:
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005006464766409.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2fra
and I was getting 4 beeps and 4 red lights continuously for a while.
Then the beeps stop but all the fans start spinning for a sec then turn off.

I would appreciate any help concerining the meaning of the 4 beeps and 4 red lights on the motherboard.

Thanks in advance !

May 31, 2024
We're going to need more info. What is the make and model of your PSU and the GPU you dropped into the prebuilt? Did you make sure to connect both adapter's extensions to the motherboard?
i tried some old psu from an older prebuilt with like same wattage and i didnt put the gpu yet since i was trying to get the psu working , so actually im trying to find a solution for this problem for when i get the new psu and yes the motherboard 6 pin is in and the smaller 6 pin that has swappable colors is in too . and the gpu in the pre built that is working with its original psu is an radeon r7 200 series if that would help .
Thank you for the reply !!

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
You can find the manual just by googling the name: HP Z220

As for your problem, i don't know what help i can offer. You swapped PSUs on a prebuilt and it's clearly not happy with the new one.

Given that SFF power supplies are very expensive and that your HP is more than a decade old, wouldn't it make more sense to spend ~$500 on a new PC and stick whichever GPU you were planning on using into that? Or running just with the iGPU until you get some money for a $200-400 GPU?

I guess if you're going with donated parts, it's not expensive at all but it's not going to be easy to get much performance out of a HP Z220.
Your biggest enemy will be compatibility! I know from experience how annoying it can be to land a old cheap GPU that actually works with an Ivy era Intel motherboard, even a retail one.

Reactions: Joseph_138
May 31, 2024

As for your problem, i don't know what help i can offer. You swapped PSUs on a prebuilt and it's clearly not happy with the new one.

Given that SFF power supplies are very expensive and that your HP is more than a decade old, wouldn't it make more sense to spend ~$500 on a new PC and stick whichever GPU you were planning on using into that? Or running just with the iGPU until you get some money for a $200-400 GPU?

I guess if you're going with donated parts, it's not expensive at all but it's not going to be easy to get much performance out of a HP Z220.
Your biggest enemy will be compatibility! I know from experience how annoying it can be to land a old cheap GPU that actually works with an Ivy era Intel motherboard, even a retail one.
Hi i searched and found out that the beep codes im getting and red lights meant a "Power Failure (power supply is overloaded)" and i dont know what it means , Thanks and please if you have any informations about what that means !

May 31, 2024

and i've seen some benchmark videos with my current cpu and the gpu i have , so i thought why not try it but im now stuck with this psu problem , i currently have an e3 xeon 1230v2 with a radeon r7 200 series and i have a gtx 1060 3gb that i want to put in the prebuilt !

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
"Power Failure (power supply is overloaded)"
That means power supply cannot deliver enough power. More power is being demanded than it can supply.

Even though it's a 280w PSU, it cannot deliver as much power as your old 240w PSU

OR

The new 280w PSU is not compatible, so it doesn't work at all with your HP.
i have a gtx 1060 3gb that i want to put in the prebuilt
Never gonna happen.

1060 3Gb - TDP 120 W Suggested PSU 300 W

You would need a 400w minimum powersuppy that is compatible with your HP Z220. :(
Sorry.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/image...D233B4F74445/image-dimensions/2500?v=v2&px=-1

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/132484iC6EA2AE2892E2FC5?v=v2

This is what comes up when searching HP 220 .

Notice on the lower picture see that resistor block. I think this is your issue.

If the original power supply compensated internally there would be no resister and maybe it's a user addon but if it's factory.

I don't know how HP incorporated that resistor in the original power supply/ wiring. Take a good look at the original power supply and see if that resistor is tucked into the wire harness from power supply to motherboard.

I know that the HP "Z" server PC have a stupid heat probe that like you have a different layout for motherboard plug /wiring but will run except all the fans are on turbo if that temp switch is missing from the power switch wires..

Modding a Desktop version of an HP computer has it's drawback but are easy to deal with.

When it comes to HP SFF it's a pain in the !

Last edited:

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Try this, if possible. It's well under $500 USD and it's current gen on the cheap. Still decent unless you install unlocked intels.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-12100 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($110.15 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B760M DS3H DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($50.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP44L 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA SSC GAMING GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Phanteks XT PRO ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ B&H)
Total: $456.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-06-13 18:04 EDT-0400

It's interesting coming from ---pin 9--- from your standard 24 pin motherboard cable it's +5 VSB than goes through the booster top pic or the resister on lower pic and than feeds the actual motherboard connector--- pin # 6--- a 12 volt signal. Purple wire.

I wonder if you have a volt meter and if you can hot wire the new power supply by itself not hooked up to the computer and read the voltage your getting with the new HP 220 pigtail you bought and see what voltage that ---pin # 6--- off the adaptor is reading.

Is it 5 volts or 12 volts?

May 31, 2024
That means power supply cannot deliver enough power. More power is being demanded than it can supply.

Even though it's a 280w PSU, it cannot deliver as much power as your old 240w PSU

OR

The new 280w PSU is not compatible, so it doesn't work at all with your HP.

Never gonna happen.

1060 3Gb - TDP 120 W Suggested PSU 300 W

You would need a 400w minimum powersuppy that is compatible with your HP Z220. :(
Sorry.
Yes , thank you i think i forgot to tell you that im planning to get a 500 watt + psu which is the last componnent i need since i got the 24atx pin to 6 pin and small 6 pin my motherboard needs https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/0-MAAOSwNoxkBut4/s-l1600.webp (. and Yes since the test psu that made the beeps is older which i think makes it less efficient , so is there any way to know if a 500 watt psu would be compatible and if my plan is achievable

May 31, 2024
and another thing came into my mind is the small 6 pin color layout since searching up that adapter shows multiple layours depending on the HP , im not pretty sure but i would keep that in mind

May 31, 2024
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/image...D233B4F74445/image-dimensions/2500?v=v2&px=-1

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/132484iC6EA2AE2892E2FC5?v=v2

This is what comes up when searching HP 220 .

Notice on the lower picture see that resistor block. I think this is your issue.

If the original power supply compensated internally there would be no resister and maybe it's a user addon but if it's factory.

I don't know how HP incorporated that resistor in the original power supply/ wiring. Take a good look at the original power supply and see if that resistor is tucked into the wire harness from power supply to motherboard.

I know that the HP "Z" server PC have a stupid heat probe that like you have a different layout for motherboard plug /wiring but will run except all the fans are on turbo if that temp switch is missing from the power switch wires..

Modding a Desktop version of an HP computer has it's drawback but are easy to deal with.

When it comes to HP SFF it's a pain in the !
im looking right now at the adapter but the COM black wire is not in there , only the purple +5svb going into the big 6 pin . And also about the volts and multimeter , i have just studied electricity this year and i know a couple things about the tension and the amperage and like ohm's law but i dont know about getting a multimeter and testing it since i dont know where the positive and negative poles would be in real life machines and i dont wanna be electrocuted xD , anyways Thanks for the reply !