[SOLVED] I'm getting a BSOD "KMode Exception not handled"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GGOD

Reputable
May 29, 2017
Im Getting a BSOD "KMode Exception not handled" each time i try to update my device or boot from Windows installation media.

Everything else works fine ,but i cant seem to be able to update ,nor force a clean install ,cause i get this BSOD every time i try to update ,or reboot into a Windows installation media that i created

Reactions: dufreyne

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try making another installer on a new USB?

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

May 4, 2020
crystalidea.com
Im Getting a BSOD "KMode Exception not handled" each time i try to update my device or boot from Windows installation media.

Everything else works fine ,but i cant seem to be able to update ,nor force a clean install ,cause i get this BSOD every time i try to update ,or reboot into a Windows installation media that i created

I'm on the same boat: still on Windows 10 1909, cannot update to 2004 via Windows update.
asrock z390 phantom gaming-itx/ac
latest drivers, bios.

Last edited:

GGOD

Reputable
May 29, 2017
I'm on the same boat: still on Windows 10 1909, cannot update to 2004 via Windows update nor clean install.
asrock z390 phantom gaming-itx/ac
latest drivers, bios.
and this is the first time you had any problem with a windows update ,right ?
i mean did the previous Major updates install normally ?

GGOD

Reputable
May 29, 2017
Absolutely, no problem at all. Only with 1909 -> 2004 upgrade
Same here ,i even tried installing a new Insider build (post 2004) but still had the same problem ,i think the problem either comes from the 1909 update itself ,not wanting to update ,or some new changes made post 1909 ,which make the update impossible

GGOD

Reputable
May 29, 2017
Try making another installer on a new USB?

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it
i already tried most of the solutions ,Usb or DVD install even ,plus i dont think the problem is from the RAM ,i have tested it plenty of times (using Windows' built in tool) and didnt have any error ,aside from this everything works fine ,so thats one more reason to believe that its not the RAM that is faulty

Colif

Win 11 Master
If windows is still working (as I assumed it was a clean install and it wasn't)
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Did you try memtest as the windows memory tool isn't the best test. If you booting off USB and still get same error, it is normally hardware that is stopping it.

GGOD

Reputable
May 29, 2017
Did you try a clean install to a new drive?
cant even boot to a installation media ,the only solution would be to take my drive to a new PC ,and install the OS there ,but i currently dont have the time for that (plus its too much work tbh)

May 4, 2020
crystalidea.com
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Did you try memtest as the windows memory tool isn't the best test. If you booting off USB and still get same error, it is normally hardware that is stopping it.

For some reason, no crash dump is created. When BSOD happens Windows reverts itselt to 1909 where only older crash reports have been saved.

GGOD

Reputable
May 29, 2017

yes its still working ,ill try all of the steps you mentioned and report back in a moment ,thank you

GGOD

Reputable
May 29, 2017

So i have done just that ,run the memory test with 4 passes (took nearly two hours) ,and it gave me 0 errors ,after that i enabled the mini dump option ,and tried booting from a Windows 10 v2004 DVD (as expected i got the same BSOD) then i went to check the minidump folder ,but it was empty
Weirdly enough ,when trying to boot from an older DVD (contain the November 2019 update ,i didn't get the same BSOD at all ,and in fact it went straightly into the installation ,making me think that the problem comes from the update itself and not my PC) ,

Last edited:
May 4, 2020
crystalidea.com
Made a virtual machine out of my working 1909 (using vmware converter) and tried to upgrade there - same result (rollback).
So it's NOT a hardware/driver issue, but the problem with Windows itself.

GGOD

Reputable
May 29, 2017
Made a virtual machine out of my working 1909 (using vmware converter) and tried to upgrade there - same result (rollback).
So it's NOT a hardware/driver issue, but the problem with Windows itself.
that's a quite interesting result ,it's a shame that Microsoft didn't solve this problem up until now ;i guess all we can do now is wait and see if they can fix anything

Colif

Win 11 Master
so 1909 installs but 2004 won't.

What are specs of PC? It is possible there is something on PC that needs to be updated before 2004 will install. There are devices like that out there.

@dufreyne another mod will reply later with conversion of the dump files.

May 4, 2020
crystalidea.com
Honestly, I didn't try a clean install of 2004 (yet) because I have too many apps installed.
Specs
I don't think they matter because I cloned my PC into VmWare and it crashed there too during upgrade.

GGOD

Reputable
May 29, 2017
so 1909 installs but 2004 won't.

What are specs of PC? It is possible there is something on PC that needs to be updated before 2004 will install. There are devices like that out there.

@dufreyne another mod will reply later with conversion of the dump files.
Here are my specs (fairly standard setup ;so i dont think i have like specific drivers to worry about)
Mobo (MSI B150M Mortar ) ;I5-6400 ;AMD Rx580; Avexir (4Gb DDR4) *2 sticks ;2 Hard Drives (Toshiba) ,and one SSD (Kingston) ,i have other peripherals ,like a mouse ,speakers and a Wifi adapter etc ...plugged in (but most of them are plug and play ,so no driver updates for those) ,aside from that ,all my other drivers are up to date .
Also one little thing i noticed ,when i press Shift+Restart (to access the Recovery menu) ,not all options are available (for example the advanced settings menu isn't) ,leading me to believe that i have a problem with my recovery partition ,i tried the rebuild bcd commands (bootrec /fixmbr ;bootrec /fixboot ;bootrec /rebuildbcd) ,all three succeded ,but the last one showed me 0 partitions found ...i dont know if this is related ,but maybe it can help)

Status
Not open for further replies.