[SOLVED] I'm getting horrible fps while gaming, and really want to fix it.

Aug 7, 2021
Hey, so I've been getting into Destiny 2. And some symptoms I'll mention below are what I think is causing frame rate droppage, or at least could be linked, I have no idea and I'm just shooting in the dark...
CPU: Intel Core i7 980x
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX970
And recently my computer has been having some issues. First of all it was stuck in the automatic repair loop upon booting up my computer. It wouldn't even let me start it in safe mode. I looked up the error code and it could be upwards of 10 different things (just my luck). I unplugged it opened it up and blew some dust out of it (wasn't a crazy amount but her innards were definitely due for a cleaning) and took it into a repair shop nearby. The problem disappeared when we booted up the computer in their shop.
The next day (today) the same thing happened but it was a different error code. And again, unplugging it seems to have solved the problem... Mostly. It still restarted in the middle of me working a couple times with a blue screen saying "An error has occured and windows is gathering information on it before restarting your pc". But it started back up again just fine after that, so I'm not sure what to make of that.

That all eventually went away, as of now, it has been running and working fine for 6ish hours (other than the god damn lag!!).
I double checked my internet speed 50ish mbp/s.
I made sure my gpu was running Destiny 2 at optimal settings.
I ran an Intel Processor diagnostic tool and it "passed".
And I haven't had it on while gaming but I also downloaded Core Temp to see if my CPU is overheating. As of right now all 6 cores are hovering right around 45-50 degrees celsius. Which a simple google search says is well within good operating parameters.

Could it be the Destiny 2 servers? Or potentially hardware/software on my end? The computer shutting down and stuck in the repair loop, and then this seems like one hell of a coincidence.

I have no idea what to check next but the game is almost unplayable, and that's kind of a big bummer because I just started getting into it.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Also I just uninstalled the game, and am reinstalling it to see if that helps at all, will update if anything changes.

Thank you!

Solution
Mainly on the suggestion of a friend of mine who says it just puts wear on hardware needlessly
this would only be true of someone who doesn't have their system setup right and lets their CPU run way too close to thermal limits for way too long.
sounds like this friend is someone who is just easily scared\paranoid by myths and doesn't really understand the reality of it.

depending on the particular system with a good overclock on both your CPU & GPU, and possible memory also, you can drastically improve frame rates in games.
As of right now all 6 cores are hovering right around 45-50 degrees celsius.
that's fairly high for just browsing or idling.
and idle temperatures don't really matter if you're worried about issues within games.

you need to see what temps you are reaching while stressing the system.
use Cinebench, Prime95, Intel XTU, or something like Realbench to see what temps you may actually hit while stressing the system.
Could it be the Destiny 2 servers?
one easy way to tell;
try other similar games.

Aug 7, 2021
that's fairly high for just browsing or idling.
and idle temperatures don't really matter if you're worried about issues within games.

you need to see what temps you are reaching while stressing the system.
use Cinebench, Prime95, Intel XTU, or something like Realbench to see what temps you may actually hit while stressing the system.
one easy way to tell;
try other similar games.

I just ran a test with Cinebench and was keeping an eye on Core Temp. My computer was running at just under the Tj max temperature so obviously there is an issue with my cpu overheating. I'm going to take it into a repair shop in a couple days to see if they can help fix it.

Aug 7, 2021
Well I have never and will never overclock my computer. Mainly on the suggestion of a friend of mine who says it just puts wear on hardware needlessly for minor boosts in performance.

The cpu has an attached fan, and then one on the back side of it on the case, and 2 above it on the case, as well as a 8inch wide fan on the side panel that detaches for access to the hardware.

Sorry. I don't know what the make of the cooling system model is, but the cpu has one fan attached to it and 4 fans on 3 sides so I feel like the problem would be with the internal cooling system of the cpu. Either way, I'm going to ask of the repair shop can just clean it really well and see if they can check the operation of the fans/cpu cooling system.

I'll update with what they say if you don't mind because a second opinion never hurts!

Mainly on the suggestion of a friend of mine who says it just puts wear on hardware needlessly
this would only be true of someone who doesn't have their system setup right and lets their CPU run way too close to thermal limits for way too long.
sounds like this friend is someone who is just easily scared\paranoid by myths and doesn't really understand the reality of it.

depending on the particular system with a good overclock on both your CPU & GPU, and possible memory also, you can drastically improve frame rates in games.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS