[SOLVED] I'm looking to build a PC and trying to decide between 8700K, 8900K and 9900K

Feb 15, 2019
This PC will be used for gaming, graphic design and video editing. I don't upgrade often, been 5 years. Have chosen an RTX 2080 TI and I've only ever built 1 PC prior so not very knowledgable.

Solution
I think you'll be pretty happy with the 9700K. It is a great chip for what you are looking to do.

For the motherboard I'm not sure what you are into in regards to looks and RGB support and what not, but I've always been a fan of Gigabyte, Asus, and MSI boards. Feature wise I feel like MSI is always just a bit ahead on features, but the Gigabyte boards I've had have been bulletproof. Asus is usually right inbetween. So, one of the lower end more professional grade hardware is the best place to look. Most of them aren't tunned to the max and as a result are generally more stable. For MSI I like the Z390-A Pro, for Gigabyte the Z390 Gaming SLI, and for Asus the Z390-P. Any of those would work well and are under $150. If you need an...
Feb 15, 2019
The following are what I've chosen for my build:

Corsair 163301 Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) - ATX Motherboard

EVGA 11G-P4-2382-KR 11 GB GDDR6 EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC Graphics Card

Razer Diamondback RGB Backlight Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse

Logitech, C920 HD Pro Webcam

EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3, 80 Plus Gold 850W

BE QUIET Dark Rock Pro 4 135 mm Silent Wings Fan CPU Cooler

Samsung LC43J890DKUXEN 43.3-Inch LED Monitor

Seagate 2 TB BarraCuda 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive

Razer BlackWidow Elite - Tactile and Silent Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

Samsung MZ-76E1T0B/EU 1 TB 860 EVO Sata III 64L V NAND Solid State Drive

ASUS Xonar DG PCI 5.1 Audio Card

Cooler Master Cosmos II 25th Anniversary Edition Computer Case

Does that all seem ok?

Feb 15, 2019
If cost is an issue I'd look at either the 8700K or the 9700K. Either will be fantastic for gaming for years. The 9900K is a monster of a CPU... but it is well past the point of diminishing returns. You pay a lot more for a little more performance over the 8700K or 9700K.
Yeah I was looking at the 3 cpus and I just figured that more cores and threads would be better but I am trying to keep the cost down. I plan on doing video editing and digital art so not sure whether more cores or more threads are most important.

Yeah I was looking at the 3 cpus and I just figured that more cores and threads would be better but I am trying to keep the cost down. I plan on doing video editing and digital art so not sure whether more cores or more threads are most important.

Generally more full cores are better than threads, so the 9700K would be the best option of the 3 when price is taken into consideration.

Have you considered a Ryzen 7 build? You could get a comparable system with a Ryzen 7 2700X. It would outperform the all but the 9900K in video editing, and still be plenty fast for digital art work, and gaming since you've got the PC for it. Not to mention it would cost less. You can get a 2700x for around $300 which last time I checked was less expensive than the other 3 CPUs. Also it opens up the path to upgrading to the 3000 series Ryzen CPUs (which are looking to be amazing) which is something you can't count on with Intel.

Feb 15, 2019
I
Generally more full cores are better than threads, so the 9700K would be the best option of the 3 when price is taken into consideration.

Have you considered a Ryzen 7 build? You could get a comparable system with a Ryzen 7 2700X. It would outperform the all but the 9900K in video editing, and still be plenty fast for digital art work, and gaming since you've got the PC for it. Not to mention it would cost less. You can get a 2700x for around $300 which last time I checked was less expensive than the other 3 CPUs. Also it opens up the path to upgrading to the 3000 series Ryzen CPUs (which are looking to be amazing) which is something you can't count on with Intel.
I feel more inclined to go with intel. I think I had an amd system before and I felt like it was a mistake. I like the look of the RTX 2080 Ti that I've chosen. I will take your advice though and go for the 9700K. I appreciate your advice. What motherboard would you suggest?

I think you'll be pretty happy with the 9700K. It is a great chip for what you are looking to do.

For the motherboard I'm not sure what you are into in regards to looks and RGB support and what not, but I've always been a fan of Gigabyte, Asus, and MSI boards. Feature wise I feel like MSI is always just a bit ahead on features, but the Gigabyte boards I've had have been bulletproof. Asus is usually right inbetween. So, one of the lower end more professional grade hardware is the best place to look. Most of them aren't tunned to the max and as a result are generally more stable. For MSI I like the Z390-A Pro, for Gigabyte the Z390 Gaming SLI, and for Asus the Z390-P. Any of those would work well and are under $150. If you need an additional feature, shop as necessary.

Solution
Feb 15, 2019

For the motherboard I'm not sure what you are into in regards to looks and RGB support and what not, but I've always been a fan of Gigabyte, Asus, and MSI boards. Feature wise I feel like MSI is always just a bit ahead on features, but the Gigabyte boards I've had have been bulletproof. Asus is usually right inbetween. So, one of the lower end more professional grade hardware is the best place to look. Most of them aren't tunned to the max and as a result are generally more stable. For MSI I like the Z390-A Pro, for Gigabyte the Z390 Gaming SLI, and for Asus the Z390-P. Any of those would work well and are under $150. If you need an additional feature, shop as necessary.
Thanks very much